MX40/41 Cressy intank pump.

Vintage Grumble

Looking at putting an intank pump in a cressy, seeing as they came out carbed, im guessing they only have the one hatch/lid in the tank? for the gauge/breather/outlet? Anyone put an intank pump in one of these? How big is the hole/what sort of pump will fit in there? (need to run a 1uz) Thinking of doing the old hang it off the gauge sender cradle job, as im not to keen to cut holes in the tank. I'll have to have a nose for inspection holes in the boot/under the seat before I drop the tank. Any help or information would be great.

Remember this model came out efi so possibly has 2 hatches into the tank, Im sure my mx31 did, one with the guage, and one with the pickup/ return. Come to think of it most toyota shit Ive pulled appart has them seperate. So all you do is weld on abit of steel to the lid of the pickup plate long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Then hose clamp it on :D with no baffles or surge tank Jeff will want to keep it above 1/4 of a tank

Looking at putting an intank pump in a cressy, seeing as they came out carbed, im guessing they only have the one hatch/lid in the tank? for the gauge/breather/outlet? Anyone put an intank pump in one of these? How big is the hole/what sort of pump will fit in there? (need to run a 1uz) Thinking of doing the old hang it off the gauge sender cradle job, as im not to keen to cut holes in the tank. I'll have to have a nose for inspection holes in the boot/under the seat before I drop the tank. Any help or information would be great.

They came out fuel injected too, but with an external pump so it doesn't help alot, but it will have a return on the tank, so might have a different pick up. I have looked into this for a Gemini fuel tank and it looked relatively straight forward, just a matter of cutting the pickup and fitting the efi pump. I think baffling the sump is probably going to be the big issue, so researching options for foam in the tank would be worth doing.

I dont know piss all about cressy's, didnt realise there was injected models, hopefully there is a second hatch with a decent sized opening in the tank, would make life much easier. The baffling may be a problem, as every time ive driven that car its had no gas in it, will have to look into foam as you say, doubt I will be able to get anything else in there. As for the pump, what sort of intank pump should we go for? I guess a factory soarer pump from a 1UZ/1JZ would be the go, If i could get the whole cradle from one, would make shit easy.

Yea I have one from a 2jz that was top mount, I dare say its deep enough you could just cut the bracket its mounted on off at the top and weld it to the lid of Jeffs pickup. Ive done this on a ae85 it worked a treat (needed a surge tank though)

Sweet, have instructed him to find a pump with cradle. I had to do this to my 86, when the pump gave up, put a silver top spec pump in there, was a lot smaller then the old pump, so cut and joined cradle, even had the correct plug, so didnt have to have any joined wires in the tank. Was a cunt to do on a AE70, only one hole in tank, and it was tiny, had to shave the hole a bit bigger, and find a tiny pump.