Toyota SCs suitable for suckthrough?

Baxter

cikk49_izsof_volumex_1.jpg

Aye, that's the image that inspired me. asically I'm planning on copying the Lancia set up as much as I can.

It all depends on how your set up, if for example you mounted your supercharger directly to the top site of your intake manifold, with the carburettor on top of that, petrol pooling problems wouldnt be too bad.

If you are remotey mounting the blower with pipework running to the engine i definatly do not recomend it.

That's handy to know, as I was planing a slightly remote instillation. Sadly the Lada manifold isn't siamesed so I can't copy RUNAMUCK's intake.

I could get an Lada injection manifold from overseas, but the time I've set all that up I might as well have simply dropped a decent 2l Jap motor in the car an be done with it (which is the other likely option if I don't SC).

Hmmmmm; I'll have to have a wee thinky about doing the manifold and essentially sitting the SC on top of the intake.

Do you think the SC12's going to be big enough?

I would've thought an SC14 would be a much better starting point

I haven't done the maths, but I assume that if an SC12 can feed a 1600AGE over 6000rpm it should have no problem feeding the 8valve Lada. Most likely the price of the unit will decide if I go SC12 or 14 :)

Dont run to much boost, im not sure what size the crank pulley is on a 4agze but from memory its bigger than the SC pulley ? someone correct me.

If the 4agze SC is over driven from factory maybe run the SC at 1:1 ratio on your lada.

Too much boost will equal detonation which will equal dead engine.

Yeah, not planning on going crazy with boost. The Lada is already relatively low compression (8 or 8.5 to 1 iirc), but don't like a lot of boost from what I can make out from a few Euro turboed ones (though possibly those were older conversions and probably had shonky ignition set-ups for higher boosts). Too much boost not only stress the clutch, but the Lada 'box isn't the strongest feature of the Niva so not going silly with boost is essential.

I had though I'd probably try and use the factory pulleys off an 4AGE as the ratio should be the same for the Niva (also a 1600), assuming they don't run silly boost from the factory.

I don't know if there are any oldschool shops that can change the springs in your distributor to stronger ones so the timing comes in more slowly. Otherwise you could lock the distributor at 20 degrees or something like that will run like total shit at some revs/loads but may prevent it from blowing up under higher loads.

The Volmex dizzy is basically retarded and doesn't alter for boost, and I was simply going to copy that and hadn't though at all about the curve. And that is potentially quite an issue.

The spring weights on the Lada can be altered to change the curve, but that's beyond me to get as accurate as it probably needs to be.

I might be able to find out what the changes are on the curve on the Volmex and use that as a guide. Actually come to think of it the Volmex dizzy may be able to be adapted easily into the Niva engine (mind you the curve for a SCed sporty 2l dohc might still be arse for a 1600 sohc luger). Hmmmm. Some thing to be done on that as well.

Cheers greatly for the pointers.

• 3 weeks later...

from memory a std 4a-gze crank pulley is 150mm dia. aftermarket ones range from 165-175mm like cusco and nevo etc. the early sc12 (aw11/ae92) had a slightly larger charger pulley around 115mm i think. later ones from ae101 a bit smaller. running around 8psi-10psi respectively from factory.

and its not revs that kill them.. it's creating too much boost, or pressure ratio, which adds too much heat into the system and cooks the rotor coating. above 14psi seems where poor efficiency makes it not worth the extra boost on sc12's.

the later sc14 was fitted to the 2.5ltr 4cyl 2tz-fze estima engine. charger pulley on that is 110mm and 7rib belt. 1ggze version has less ribs and i think slightly bigger pulley?

price wise.. trademe good cond' sc12's go for $150-250. sc14 $250-350. plenty available.

Which would make more power on my 2litre zetec do you reckon? suck through SC or R1 bike carbs? Runamucks pictures look awesome! if i could fit that in the anglia :shock: it would look pretty darn cool!

Supercharger would give at least a 20% power gain. R1 carbs would make no gain if very little.

altho they would sound and look tits !

LPG offers many advantages for both blowthrough and drawthrough. The disadvantage is the weight/cost though.

I'd LOVE to build a blowthrough turbo LPG set up. And run a water to air intercooler using the LPG converter as a souce of cool to keep charge temps down. You'd be able to get intake temps around 5*C@boost. And acheive the mad charge density.

Runamucks pictures look awesome! if i could fit that in the anglia :shock: it would look pretty darn cool!

You could fit it in in your anglia, just cut a dirty great hole in the bonnet. Thats what I did! :mrgreen:

You could fit it in in your anglia, just cut a dirty great hole in the bonnet. Thats what I did! :mrgreen:

Yeah thats what i was thinking :badgrin:

dunno how i'd get on witdth ways though either, anglia bay is pretty tight!

• 3 weeks later...
Solve all your problems in one go by running on LPG.

I've actually wondered about LP in the past as I have most of an LP system less the tank in the garage somewhere. But there's simply nowhere to put the tank that it's not in the way or at risk off-road.