dspec's drift spec Galant GT

fuel

was going to tow a mate home who had an accident, police were there and said his car had to be put on a tow truck so i was leaving to go back home then one of the police from the scene put his lights on and pulled me up :rolleyes: o well its my own fault really, yea now i have a good excuse to do something with the suspension.

fuel what do you think about shortening the strut casing by removing a section between the spring perch and botom mount and getting custom springs?

you would want to shorten the struts between the spring perch and the top where the gland nut is, because if you lower the spring perch any lower it will then rub on your tyre. You should be able to shorten it about an inch or two and run shorter inserts like the rear SW20 MR2 inserts. Technically it will need to be certified but if the job is tidy enough and it's all painted up and covered by that rubber sleeve thing then it would probably go by un-noticed.

put standard springs back in (if you have some still) and then just get the VTNZ pink sticker removal WOF, rather than modify your shocks then go for the WOF as if they pull you up on that it's just more fucking around getting it legal again.

yeah but a VTNZ pink sticker wof is a bit more pickier than a standard WOF - if they pick up on the uncerted shortened shocks then it might be more hassle than it's worth - I reckon just clean up your existing shocks so there are no traces of oil leaks if there are any, and just hope they aren't that spongy enough to fail. I guess you could always pick your shorter insert to use, get the shaft top modified to suit the top hats and then fit them inside the existing strut casing with a spacer big enough to take up the extra length, and then once you pass the WOF whip the struts out again and get the tops shortened and pull out the spacer.

• 2 months later...