Redline Diff Oils

RT

Right so I'm putting a borg waner falcon LSD axle into my capri.

Need some oil.

bought some Redline Superlightweight Shockproof (haven't opened or put it in yet)

but now I'm worried I might have bought the wrong stuff. The guys at BNT didn't seem to know much about the new shockproof range. From the redline range I could have chosen:

Redline 75/90 gear oil

superlight weight shockproof

light weight shockproof

heavyweight shockproof

and from what I could gather it seemed that it was efficiency vs protection in that order with the standard 75/90 being the normal choice for street use for the most efficiency / power loss. But the shockproof range being better for loading and abuse.

So I chose the superlight weight shockproof stuff for my v8 capri cos it's just a streeter but I give it the boot now and then.

overkill? shoulda got the normal stuff maybe..? Anyone know??

well basically there oils have been designed to give the film protection of your traditional oils with a lower fluid friction.

So the super light has a film protection of your typical 75W90 gear oil, but has a lower fluid friction than 75W90 so it flows like a much lighter oil. So if your diff normally runs a 75W90 like most stuff does this will be fine. lightweight shock proof has a film thickness of 75W140 I think so is probably overkill. None of the shock proof range is a specific clutch plate LSD oil out of the box, I think they sell a additive? You would have had no problems just going with the Castrol LSD gear oil for half the price

^ prob true.. but I didn't think $60 was much to pay for 2 qaurts of redline. I've had the gear sets shot-peened and I'm not gonna cheap out for some decent oil.

My falcon manuel says to run 80W90 LSD oil

so the superlight weight shockproof would be good (75W90 but friction like ATF)?

Or should I exchange it for lightweight shockproof which is (75W140 but friction like 80W)

Actually.. after reading more on the redline website it seems this is better suited for transmissions. If my falcon diff is supposed to have a 80W90 GL-5 then I should be using this stuff: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=37&pcid=4