Twin choke cable alternative??

m0ss4yy

Got twin stombergs on the hunter, and can't find a twin choke cable anywhere, and the bike shops near where I live reckon they can't make anything up or alter something I already have. Rang a few brake and clutch places near where I live, and they suggested to make some sort of mechanism or ask a bike shop. So back to square one..

Any ideas??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thats going to be the best way, even a twin choke cable setup would just be messy. Best way is to find out how the chokes actuate and then just link both of them together with a rod or something similar and then just actuate either one of them with a single cable.

Rangi, but...

Get two choke cables of a similar length, run them through to the same point at the dash, cut the cable off the end of the bar of one and use a small clamp or solder/weld/braze the cable onto the end of the other bar.

Yeah? Nah? Too Easy/Rangi?

Haha, I had thought of that aswell.. But I dont think it'd work that well because of the difference in the cables.

I know how they actuate, but the problem is, they arent like most twins, where everything is linked, only the throttle is linked. The choke mechanism is on the same side for both carbs (left if looking at the inlet), and there is nothing going through the body to create a linkage.

Some sort of mechanism would have to go either underneath the body of the carb, or over the top.

So I'm struggling a bit at the minute :lol:

ky's solution would work as long as you fixed the out side of the cable securely so that any movement when pulling the choke acted on both cables in the same way. That seems the easiest, cheapest and probably best solution at the moment due to the failspec of those carbs.

Or just run 2 cables altogether :lol:

You'd just need a bit of choke/heaps when cold but once its warm you could back them right off. It won't cause any issues them not being absolutely perfect.

/put a new thermo in if you have created an issue by removing the faulty one :rolleyes: That will save a lot of hassle.