hillman hunter front shocks?

m0ss4yy

Remove the insert from the strut and take to Ripco/BNT etc

Then compare to other inserts and buy closest one, I used Peugeot ones from memory but they required some mods to fit and wouldn't recommend the hassle.

From other posts you want to lower it so slightly shorter inserts would be handy.

• 9 months later...

Just for reference on this older post.

I just purchased some front gas cartridge inserts for the Hillman hunter front suspensions.

Gabriel Part# G44894

(10mm shorter fully extended)

Same Body length as standard “direct replacement”

They are a perfect fit. But you have to reuse the original captive nut. They are normally for a BMW so are supplied metric parts.

The Gas Inserts that came out are part #

# 732626

Made in USA

P8121 C323 040

*no branding*

At a guess maybe Datson 180/200B

Once I’ve got the motor running I will post what they ride like.

Plus If anyone is interested in lowering of the front.

There are some differences between a Hillman Hunter and Chrysler Hunter front end.

The Chrysler bottom platforms are mounted 30mm lower on the strut. The top platform is also drops down 30mm lower.

Taking this into consideration. If you drop a Hillman spring and Hillman top platform onto a Chrysler strut it should sit 30mm lower in the front.

Both struts take the same shock inserts.

You will note straightaway if you have a Chrysler and Hillman front strut sitting side by side, there differentness. As the bottom platform is a completely different shape.

I have no Idea what year they changed the front end. I’m comparing a 1971 Hillman Hunter with a 1976 Chrysler Hunter.