Welder?

Walker.NZ

130Amps is not particularly grunty - will be ok for panelwork and thin tubing say, less than 3mm wall thickness approx.

Thats fine, just be aware of the limitations - i.e. you wont get sufficient penetration for great strength if you are welding stuff like 5mm thick channel and angle iron etc.

No idea on what that model is like, weldwell is a known brand at least although it does look a little old so no idea of parts availibility. ring up weldwell with the model number maybe?

its a good welder, but way to light for what you want it for. your best bet is 180amps and up. nothing under that. you pay for what you get with a welder. and if you can afford it get a new one.

150-160A at least. that will let you do up to 4-5mm thickness. more is nice but the prices start going up alot and reduces your choice as well as there seems to be alot of entry level migs at around 160A that are perfectly fine for most stuff. IMO as a relatively newbie welder (although I know alot about the process and metallurgy) I think your best bet to making good welds is getting a decent autodarkening helmet, i.e. I would be wary of china brand ones off trademe. if you get a good one it can cost as much as an entry level mig but I think it's worth it as it makes it so much easier when you are learning. and easier, more comfortable, more relaxed = better welds in my experience. Have a look at places like tradezone,paykels etc. I got a cigweld one for 50% off on one of the paykels sales.

Gas is MUST HAVE. gasless is just shit. regular stick welding is better than gasless mig.

I think mine was something like $180 on special at half price or something like that. Would look around for a deal $200-$300 and a known brand from a shop - you only have one pair of eyes. The really pro ones are awesomeawesome but cost $500+ I was looking at getting one of those until I found a deal on the cigweld one. just keep your eye in the monthy trade specials leaflets until a good deal comes up unless you know someone who sells stuff like that and can get you a sweet deal.

you can definitely get an ok mig for $500-$1000. see what comes up on trademe. second hand is ok so long as its a decent brand that you know you can get parts for boc/weldwell/lincon/miller/cigweld/+a few others. also go look in some of the shops as well, my mate got a good BOC 190A mig new from the BOC shop for under $1000 (normally $1500+) because it had been dropped and one of the wheels had been bent. I got my cigweld transmig 165 for $600 on trademe pretty much as new condition.

If thats worthwhile for you I don't know. plus the mig you need a helmet, gas regulator (~$150) , gloves, wire, boc or air liquide account ($30?? a month for a bottle, not 100% sure as I've been using my flatmates) and you will want an angle grinder and grinding discs, cutting discs and flapwheels which all adds up when you buy a quite a few.

probably have a look at http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ I've found it pretty helpful while learning.

the china brand welders I dont know - havent seen anyone using them yet so cant comment. I know someone who has bought a china made tig welder but he hadn't actually used it before I left NZ to know if it was good/bad/ok.

where are you?

i have a tig i should sell, brilliant machine. its DC but it will weld aluminum on reverse polarity. can supply examples.

selling welder = funds for wheels for the 28.

sheepers.

does it have a foot pedal/if not can one be plugged into it?

no and no.

my other welder has a foot pedal and they are the shit. but you learn allot welding different thicknesses without one.....

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...