80's datsun ute headlights not working

peteretep

hey my mate has a 80's datsun na diesel ute, the headlights are fucking out, but as far as i can tell, the highs and lows work when wired straight from the battery, the headlight switch works, when switched to high & low there is 12v at the light plugs, but the highs dont turn on for either light, and with the lows one occasionally works and the other always works

i tried crushing the spade terminal the attached to the lights but it did nothing

any help?

I've had this problem 100's of times with shitty connections, it will just make enough contact to show 12V but there will be a bung connection somewhere and open circuit with some current flow.

I'd try different lights first, then new relays.

Have a gander at the light fuse(s) too to see if any of that shiz is melted.

I would be willing to bet it's the shitty design of the switchgear. Every month or so I have to remove my headlight stalk and bend the copper fingers that switch the headlights on and off so that the contacts make and break properly (I had to make a little tool to do this)

I would be willing to bet it's the shitty design of the switchgear. Every month or so I have to remove my headlight stalk and bend the copper fingers that switch the headlights on and off so that the contacts make and break properly (I had to make a little tool to do this)

ditto. done plenty of them in a similar fashion