Painting or powder coating

Shaun36

I have the centres out of my wheels at the moment and sandblasted them lastnight.

Im aware that powder coating is probably going to be better but we dont have a powder coater in town so was wondering if its worth sending them away to get coated or just getting them painted locally?

Powdercoatings sweet and I do my wheels in it when I want a single colour over the whole wheel or if they are 2/3 piece but I wouldn't rate it so much that I would go out of my way to get it down.

Either get some good paint and spray them up yourself or get someone else to do it locally would be the way I would go. Freighting them too and from would make it not worth while as it should only be about $100-150 to have 4 wheels painted, depending on whether they need to be blasted and primed first.

mate go have a yarn to gary hutchinson panelbeaters...he'll set you right..

i personally wouldnt powdercoat my rims...sure its hard wearing but as soon as its chipped it just keeps flaking off..

ive worked with the stuff on gates and bollards for years...

if its a show car that doesnt get used much then sweet,itll last forever.

I got the centres from my rims powdercoated. Cost $200 but thats Wellington prices. Im going to do it again aswell with another set I have here. Absolutly mint finish and heaps of colours to choose from. Way harder wearing and will last ages before chipping starts.

Gaz

yeah just make sure you dont drop anything on them to start the chipping process..

although you can get touch up paint in the cans for powdercoat aswell..

not exactly the same,but itll work if you scratch them up..

we always used a guy called curly in papakura.....

may have been papakura powdercoaters...he also does sandblasting and had a performance shop.

that was about 6years ago when i was last there...

but its not in the dirty south where ya need it ae...

best advice is get the centres prepped as good as you can...

Action Powdercoaters (in hornby Christchurch) sandblasted, powdercoated & cleared rim last set of rims for $200..

And regarding the flaking, I was unfortunate enough to have someone step out infront of me, and I took evasive action, mounting the kerb - rim bent the lip over, but only grazed the powder coating down to the steel, still isnt flaking off 6months later..

mate go have a yarn to gary hutchinson panelbeaters...he'll set you right..

i personally wouldnt powdercoat my rims...sure its hard wearing but as soon as its chipped it just keeps flaking off..

ive worked with the stuff on gates and bollards for years...

if its a show car that doesnt get used much then sweet,itll last forever.

Yeah took them down to him on tuesday. took one down and get him to give it a go to see how it would come up. Didnt come up good at all, the centres were blasted with glass so has left marks all over them and looks really rough. Could sand them but would take so long/i would get way too frustrated. So my next question is, is powdercoating a thicker coat and will it fill in the rough look? Thanks

yeah it should fill any any dimples aslong as theyr not huge..

it sprays on like a powder and the electric charge or whatever makes it cling to the metal,then it gets baked on,thats when it kinda melts down into a paint like finish..

thats what i think it is anyway...

pretty much spot on Shizzl.

Will cover minor imperfections but how much will depend on colour as some certainly cover better than others. The trick with sandblasting(or media blasting) is not to blast at a too high of a pressure.

The powder has a positive charge when sprayed from gun and the piece (eg rim) is earthed, this makes the powder stick really well.

Then baked at 180 degrees for about 8mins or so to cure.

Soda blasting is really good for paint removal and you're right no pitting. We have had bits come in for powdercoating that were soda blasted, biggest pain is removing all the soda from cavities. The soda blasting guy claims it is really good for panels and the like as no distortion and doesn't damage rubber. Although i had centres for three peice rims he quoted at 200 each to blast :shock: I just hope it is the "don't want to do it price" rather than normal pricing.