J15/diff/gearbox swaps

Sparkle

posted this on datsun, but no-one was really sure, off chance someone might know something on here.

Anyone know an easy bolt in conversion for a 620? J15 goes pretty well for a 1500 but runs out of steam/gearing at 90ish kph.

I'd like to keep the column change as well, so does anyone know if A series bolt up to J series gboxes?

Another option, is there a 5 speed option for the J15, or can I change my diff ratio easily enough?

Any help/ideas welcome.

Sparkle.

What rear end do these things have? is it a h165/h190? you can get better ratios for them but some are hard to find etc. you can do the a15/5speed swap but tbh you wont gain much. It will have more guts and be more reliable but they are typically geared relly gay lol

edit: also you can get 4 and 5 speed column shift boxes. could be worth a look.

will most likely be a h190. they came out in vanettes and silvias and other shit too. But finding ratios that are more suitable can be tricky.

Id be inclined to go for an aseries swap using the 5 speed column shift gear from a vanette. me and a mate are looking at doing a vanette 5 speed into b310 sedan, so you end up with a bench seated column shifted daily. so aws

EDIT: Hey man just had a quick search and guys chuck the datsun 4cyl L series into them aye. l18 or l20b with a 5 speed could be had fairly cheaply. Aparantly late model 620's came out with the L in them so I assume the mounts would be easy as fark

yuh saw that, but had a L20b in 910, really think that that wasnt much faster.

Just had a look at my diff, is 10 bolt, so H190?

Found this shit on net too, so means have to find cast/steel centres rather than common alloy ones.

720 ute diff head in good ratio plz

"Datsun SPL/SRL311 Roadsters use the H190, as do the PL510 Wagons (as opposed to the late '70s HL510s), as do the 720, and I presume the 620 pickups (and probably the 521 and 520 pickups...

The common parts are the diff, the carrier assembly (cars are aluminum, trucks are cast iron). The trucks use a different spider gear, so the axles are not compatible = you can mix and match a pile of misc. bits, but if you actually could find an H190 LSD, you'd pay your left nut for it - they are hoarded and coveted like Golem's ring by the guys who vintage race the Datsun roadsters..."

"Not sure if your talking Alloy center H190 , But the

620 utes in Aust had a 4.625;1 if thats any good in 29 spline alloy center , You cant swap ALLoy centre Cw&P with a Cast centre as the Pinion bearing are Different ,

i Also have a 5.1 alloy h190 center out of a 60`s 1200 ute but the axle spline is very course . but i recon you could fit the 620 diff carrier part to get the 29 splines .

I have not got any ideas on the 4.8 ratio sorry ."

I converted my old 620 to L18 and 4 speed floorchange from a 180b. The 'performance' increase was very minimal. Diff ratio is the key to keeping th 100kph rpms down i think. I looked into compatable diffs but could find no easy swaps, i did hear of someone using a shortened terrano rear end tho? The J15 is just as reliable as the a15 but neither are going to set the world on fire in terms of performance so i would stick with the J if your not going any bigger in engine size personally.

• 2 weeks later...
L6 conversion? is that a L16 motor your talking about?

Are the SD22/33 powered 720's diesel? how much modification was required to fit into the 620?

Yeh SD is diesel 4 cylinder