Car hard to start when hot

mixmasterlex

I have a Celica with a 3tgte. When cold it fires into life first crank. Boom, instant as shit.

When shes warmed up if I turn the car off, then turn it on again straight away or within a min, she starts no problems.

If I let it sit for 5min or so thats when it becomes really hard to start. Crank it over for a while and eventually it will fire up.

What are the usual things that could cause this?

Also if you have to keep cranking it (for 20seconds or more) it eventually starts to smoke a bit while its turning over, but as soon as it fires up the smoke goes away.

Heat soak issue? Seems like its probably fuel or injector related?

!!!

Ignition module? They're a solid state device often found hiding between your dizzy and the engine block which of course makes them prone to heat soak...

I could be wrong though it might pay to wait for someone more conversant with Toyota engines?

it will differentiate between a "heat soak" type issue (probably electrical) and a possibility of over fueling.

toyotas like to flood the shit out of themselves when they are cold, no such a flash idea when they are hot. could be something to do with the cold start injector, or the temp sensor that controls it. anyway, its just a bit more information to go with to try to help you fix it.

let us know tomorrow.

have you thought of doing a 4M conversion? no pesky cold start issues with an M, cauz they dont start any time.

definitely worth thinking about

sheepers (who LOL's himself)

it will differentiate between a "heat soak" type issue (probably electrical) and a possibility of over fueling.

toyotas like to flood the shit out of themselves when they are cold, no such a flash idea when they are hot. could be something to do with the cold start injector, or the temp sensor that controls it. anyway, its just a bit more information to go with to try to help you fix it.

let us know tomorrow.

have you thought of doing a 4M conversion? no pesky cold start issues with an M, cauz they dont start any time.

definitely worth thinking about

sheepers (who LOL's himself)

Its running a 3tgte. Wouldn't a 4m be a step backwards? Or were you joking? 8)

It does sound like its flooded when she trys to start when warm. Looking forward to getting all these issues sorted anyway. I was thinking about selling it on but as I get things on it done I just want to keep it more!

So who's the dickhead that deleted my post?

Which said....... A "pro" would check for faultcodes at the ECU.

If you don't know how to do it...... jump over to toyspeed.

If it doesn't have built in diagnostics then manual diagnostics would be the way to go by reading the ECU pins with a voltmeter, you'd need a workshop manual though. There's easier things to check first, like sparkplugs..... wet, dry, black or white. That will give an idea to whether it's fuel or spark problems. The igniter as mentioned would be a real possibility. Unlikely to be a temp sensor, you'd expect in that case for the cold start injector to stay on all the time, or at least run crappily when running.

Steve

Steve

Good luck 3tgte runs analogue injection much the same as my MTEU, fault codes didn't come along until the second gen 5mge's etc.

The cold start injector could be the culprit this is a separate system to the ecu completely on old stuff just a thermostatic switch that makes it piss in fuel under certain temperature

Don't know who deleted your post but you know the way you go about giving out your information rubs people up the wrong way around here

Steve

Good luck 3tgte runs analouge injection much the same as my MTEU, fault codes didnt come along until the second gen 5mge's etc.

The cold start injector could be the culprate this is a seperate system to the ecu completely on old stuff just a thermostatic switch that makes it piss in fuel under certain tempreture

Dont know who deleted your post but you know the way you go about giving out your information rubs people up the wrong way around here

its not a mitsi post .. duh... (delete etc)

yea im not a pro on toymotor systems but id have a stab at the cold start injector control system (whatever that includes) mainly the temp sensor .. they cause hassles soo quickly

edit** . spence beat me to it hard by like miles... guh

YEa you can simply pull it off the car run some wires to it drop it in ice water chuck it on the stove and heat it up and check the resistance. Check the values against a repair manual (I think theres one on line)

The problem could be something else but check the temp senders first and get that out of the way maybe

Steve

i deleted it. because, as with everything else you post on this forum, it was redundant (as pointed out by Spencer and others) and your language and manor was, as always, abrupt, confrontational and derogatory.

notice the way you have written "whos the dickhead" at the beginning of your post. this is exactly the sort of thing that I'm talking about, and is going to get you banned very shortly.

pull you head in, be a bit more friendly and helpful or fuck off.

sheepers.

<-- I heart this guy and I don't care if he deletes my post - the bloody dickhead...

Steve

i deleted it. because, as with everything else you post on this forum, it was redundant (as pointed out by Spencer and others) and your language and manor was, as always, abrupt, confrontational and derogatory.

notice the way you have written "whos the dickhead" at the beginning of your post. this is exactly the sort of thing that I'm talking about, and is going to get you banned very shortly.

pull you head in, be a bit more friendly and helpful or fuck off.

sheepers.