fuel's 1991 Galant VR-4 Evolution

fuel

oh yuh fully, preaching to the converted here :P

definitely not going to modify it and if I did it would only be strictly bolt-ons and I would retain the original parts. my aim is to work on making it minter still - things like getting the original rims powdercoated and a set of new decent tyres (preferably with a tread pattern similar to the original Michelin Pilots these were originally fitted with from the factory, I dig that shit), fix all the small dents and imperfections in the paintwork and fix all the niggly things in the interior like missing bit of trim below glovebox, sloppy gear shifter mechanism, driver's seat doesn't slide on its runners very well etc.

it's definitely a car to stash away and keep for years to come.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the previous owner go to great pains to originalise the hell out of this? I seem to recall hearing he had the exhaust brought in especially from Mitsi Japan etc etc?

yup, he needed a new rear muffler so straight off to mitsi he went, none left in the country so sweet getting one shipped in from japan - they were showing stock in the plant so no problems.. except that their stock count was wrong, so the good cunts at mitsubishi in japan actually made one up to spec and sent it over - probably cost heaps more than what he was actually charged to make up this one off muffler but oh well.

god I heart these cars. this has to be one of the nicest ones left for sure. good work etc.

I like the idea of keeping it stock too. Plenty of hacked up/fast ones around if you wanted something to thrash but I'm sure this is awesome to drive as is. Drove a couple standard eterna zr4's a while back. No doubt they aint as quick but was suprised with how sweet they were to drive for a factory mitsi early 90's beast.

• 1 month later...
Has TD05H small 16G wheel, same as Evo1.

Just to be a Mitsi turbo nerd... Evo Is came with big 16Gs (48mm ind, 68mm exd), the Evo I/II "Small" 16G (46mm ind, 60mm exd) thing is a myth - they came with big 16gs. Granted, the Evo III 16G is slightly different, (1mm larger on the exducer, has a thinner main body around the shaft and thinner blades) but I'd put money on the fact yours is a big 16G aswell.

lol I really was hoping Jarred wouldn't see this :P

As much as I would like to accept it's a big 16g for so many years everyone has talked of them as small and big 16Gs. There must be some significant difference surely.

It was my understanding VR-4 Evo and Evo 1 and possibly some Evo 2s had "small" 16Gs while Evo 3s and possibly some Evo 3s had "big" 16Gs.

If it satisfies you Jarred I will call it a big 16g :P just I'll have a bunch of other people on my case saying it's a small 16g.

:lol:

*flicks lights on and off*

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

I have two Evo I turbos in pieces here, both big 16Gs. AND you can tell by the machining on the compressor cover that they left the factory like that. AAAAAAAAAAAAND the compressor covers carry the correct code for the Evo I turbo.

Seriously, I almost gaurantee you have a big 16G. The proof is in the pudding, take the cover off and get some calipers on there.

The proof is in the pudding

im sorry but I cant stand it when people say that. IT IS NOT THE SAYING

:lol:

the proof is not in the pudding, it is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

also back to ontopic saw a mint og white one of these in chch today. I thought of you/your car and was kinda stoked to see an original one

also back to ontopic saw a mint og white one of these in chch today. I thought of you/your car and was kinda stoked to see an original one

mate of mine recently bought one also, got a good deal traded his near written off 4a-fte starlet for it.

it's really quite fast / better than lancer evo etc.

• 1 year later...

bit of an update on this beast, been itching to try out my new camera.

Kris, the previous owner of the car went to great lengths to make the car as original and 'mint' as possible, and I'm hoping to continue on and add to his efforts. A while ago I had nine factory rims and I chose the best four plus the next best one to use as a spare then sold off the remaining four. Problem is two of them were a different shade of grey and it always had bugged me so had been meaning to paint them at some stage.

At the last trackday I did in the car I had one of the semi slicks delaminate, and the previous track day I had another go out of round! So I decided time to fit road tyres again. I came across a set of new Potenza G-III tyres for a good price, and thought now would be a good opportunity to replace the semi slicks and paint the rims.

IMG_0019.jpg

I then put the car up on stands:

IMG_0015.jpg

and stripped the rims, sanded them back and then sprayed them with a silver with a slight gold tinge, it was basically a match of one of the rims which had the best colour:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

I'm waiting for the paint to cure for one more day then I'll get the tyres fitted up. As you can see I have two sets of center caps - one set with the Mitsi logo and one without, am unsure which set I'll end up using, thoughts?

moar pics - Hamilton's weather is shit as usual. Big thanks to Karl at the WOF Shop, he managed to get the wheels balanced up using stick on weights on the inside of the rim rather than on the outside lip.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

• 3 months later...