ignition timing on a 1600cc suby motor

bubblegoose

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any simple upgrade for the dizzy while im at it?
Yours is electronic (i.e. no points) isn't it? They are shit hot like they are mate. No need to upgrade. I use one on my Ford race car but with the vacuum advance removed

dsc00995hg5.jpg

I didn't know the model T was coming back UJ, Good to see Ford have left the chassis development in good hands this time :mrgreen:

Corey

ok so ive just been fannying around and though id link up the vacuum gauge to the dizzy, needle moves up and down (not sure what im looking for but its getting a good suck :rolleyes: ) then took the gurage off and farted around on the lancer

then went and took the brumby for a drive............. and its heaps better

'hmmm' me thoughts

looked under the hood and noticed i had left the t- piece in the vac line

WTF! would i be right in saying that with out the adv its running 5dbtdc all through the revs?

and is it worth blocking the vac adv off and cranking the dizzy forward?

if yay what too?

looked under the hood and noticed i had left the t- piece in the vac line

WTF! would i be right in saying that with out the adv its running 5dbtdc all through the revs?

?

Nah - there is also mechanical advance in those dizzys. You will probably find that you had simply introduced a vacuum leak into the intake circuit. Plug up the hole and see how she goes.

It sounds like you are going down the right track.

Without burning your eyebrows off take off the aircleaner top and look down the carb while its running, blip open the throttle ( quickly open it and shut it again) and look at the accelerator pump nozzle (where the fuel squirts out). If you notice the fuel squirts out before or after the miss try tensioning or untensioning the pump spring till you get it better.

With overhauling the carb you might find it is getting a bigger shot of fuel then it was before.

Corey

It sounds like you are going down the right track.

Without burning your eyebrows off take off the aircleaner top and look down the carb while its running, blip open the throttle ( quickly open it and shut it again) and look at the accelerator pump nozzle (where the fuel squirts out). If you notice the fuel squirts out before or after the miss try tensioning or untensioning the pump spring till you get it better.

With overhauling the carb you might find it is getting a bigger shot of fuel then it was before.

Corey

haha if it misfired like it used to then id loose my face not my eyebrows

nah its not missing any more just bogs down when the accelerator pump does its thing, just rolling on is fine and as soon as the fuel from the squirt gets thrown out then it runs mint

might just disconnect the pumper 8)

You can't disconnect the accerator pump!!

It smoothes the engine through the cross over between the idle jets and the main jets.

If removed it will make your problem worse.

Corey

try telling my carb that, took it for a test drive with no pumper and has no hesitation what so ever

probably going to reconnect just to make sure it doesn't keep going lean on acceleration

Yeah the craptachi is shit.

Mine hesitates on my ea81 it needs a rebuild but it's gonna get a weber when I get my workshop set up.

I just replaced my coil with a mallory promaster off tardme which made it smoother throughout the rev range, especially off idle. It still has a hole when I stamp the throttle.

• 14 years later...

Hi All

Probably going to need this thread shortly. 

Just wondering does anybody know what this round end lever/valve does?

FB_IMG_1697241002349.jpg.96ae9f126008428c18e92e25a116c966.jpg

I have to make my own throttle linkage bracket and just wondering if that arm should be touching it when the throttle is off.

Screenshot_20231014-1250192.thumb.png.2ecaec0e2fd2f18605e2a610da634b7a.png

Screenshot_20231014-125048~2.png