newby here

mk4

gidday. I thought i better introduce my self.

Well i'm Jase i'm 16 and i'm based in rotorua north island, and have currently brought my self a 1979 mk4 cortina 2l.

It has done 149.000 original ks.

warrented and registerd.

But now i have run into a few problems.

The accelerator pump diaphram is leaking, so i have brought my self a gasket set, i am just waiting for it to arrive.

also i think the valve guides and rings are about to give way as it blow's a big cloud of white smoke wen starting, and a little white smoke wen accelerating.

It is also missing quite badly, I have not been able to find the problem of this,

I have been told it could be a hole in the manifold or a vacume hoes or somthing like that, but i have checked and it's not one of them. i have changed spark plugs and leads and it is still missing.

Any help on this would be grate.

cheers jase.

Hey Jase, welcome. Accelerator pump diaphragm is a common failure, so no worry there. As for the vacuum, the hose over to the brake servo could be the culprit, but I'd do the standard stuff: points/condensor/leads and get the valve clearances right ( you need a bent spanner, or to take the carb off to get some of then adjusted ). As all that is pretty cheap, then I'd get it done, then see what gets worse. These motors will go for ever unless you rev the bollocks off an old and worn one!

^^ thats what i was gonna say,could also give a hint to the miss,water on the plugs???

what is the colour of your oil?milky?

any oil in your radiator?

does it use water/oil?

Theres no oil in the radiator but it is using a little bit of oil...

i just did a oil change on wednesday. but oil is fine?

cheers

^^ thats what i was gonna say,could also give a hint to the miss,water on the plugs???

what is the colour of your oil?milky?

any oil in your radiator?

does it use water/oil?

Theres no oil in the radiator but it is using a little bit of oil...

i just did a oil change on wednesday. but oil is fine?

cheers

usually only diesels give off white smoke , its probably just condensation take it for a good highway run for 20 mins then see if it still does it

White smoke can sometimes indicate a blown diaphragm in the brake booster, ie sucks past the seals under vaccuum, causing white smoke.. Just a thought.

that thought me remind me when i poured a whole bottle of brake fluid down a guy at techs headers into his cat when was replceing the gasket cause he gladwrapped my car ... ahhh shit that was a funny week

White smoke can sometimes indicate a blown diaphragm in the brake booster, ie sucks past the seals under vaccuum, causing white smoke.. Just a thought.

that thought me remind me when i poured a whole bottle of brake fluid down a guy at techs headers into his cat when was replceing the gasket cause he gladwrapped my car ... ahhh shit that was a funny week

:lol: yes that does cause alot of white smoke and confusion, so does a large cable tie round someones driveshaft :lol: