Quick question - Cut and Polish

Scrubb

Bought some of that CRC Extra Cut cream polish for my car cause its fading and turning white. I have used it once before and it came up GREAT!

Just worried about going through the paint by using it again? Should I be worried? Dont really know much about the details of polishing..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polishing is all very well but you really need to follow it up with 6,000,000 wax applications to protect the paint surface and prevent more deterioration

Click here for the most crazy polishing/wax jobs you'll ever see : http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

yes, all your doing is removing the old oxidized paint revealing fresh stuff, which will need further protection to prevent it happening again, more waxing :x

It was in this condition last time I did it I think and it turned out really nice. Most of the white crap is residue from when I took it through car wash and it just wont come off, but it comes off if I rub with my finger..

There is a small white spot on my bonnet that definitly didnt come off last time and it might ave got slightly bigger, I'm assuming thats what you're talking about?

The white spots I'm talking about arent white like that.. Just like faded yellow, cant tell unless you look close

I bought some wax so I'm gonna make sure I wax it this time :lol:

It was in this condition last time I did it I think and it turned out really nice. Most of the white crap is residue from when I took it through car wash and it just wont come off, but it comes off if I rub with my finger..

There is a small white spot on my bonnet that definitly didnt come off last time and it might ave got slightly bigger, I'm assuming thats what you're talking about?

The white spots I'm talking about arent white like that.. Just like faded yellow, cant tell unless you look close

I bought some wax so I'm gonna make sure I wax it this time :lol:

4 billion coats of wax should be enough boe

Sort of off topic, but could anyone give me pointers on coloursanding my capri to reduce the amount of orangepeel etc?

Paint at the moment is straight off the gun.

water, lots of it (in a bucket and change the water frequently as it goes cloudy), and lots of 1500grit sand paper and finish with 2000grit sandpaper, then use a good cutting compound (such as 3M Finish-It 3000) and buff it afterwards.

So you guyys are mentioning a re spray, do you mean a full respray or just polish it up again and get a clear sprayed on?

Are you able to take photos of said area? I get the feeling people are jumping to conclusions from a poor explanation of the problem. I'm sure with photos we'ld then be able to give you a definite answer.

Just some more info in case you need/want it. My flatamtes car had the white cancer spots that got bigger with cut and polish so he got some dude to do a bit of pannel work on his car (dented guard and bumper) and then got the bonnet, roof, boot, guard and bumper respraid in the dudes garage all for $400... looked fine. You get what you pay for of course but the car looks a million times better

who knows.. that "white stuff" could have just been the paint scratched up heaps by that crc shit.. that isn't really the best quality stuff. If it's like a pale white-grey underneath then it probably is the primer underneath and then yes you have gone through the top layer of paint.

There will be no clear coat on a 1980 NZ-new EX Lancer... it probably wont even be acrylic let alone 2-pack paint.

You don't use an harsh cutting compound such as that CRC stuff on a clear coat paint job anyway - all it will do is make the paint all cloudy and scratched up with heaps of swirl marks.

Yup, I'll take some photos for ya. As for using that CRC stuff, the paint came up mint last time I used it and the paint is just getting lighter and lighter on the side thats always in the sun over time so gonna see if I can fix it up as I never waxed it the last time which I really should have done!