Help with my Dizzy-Mk3 cortina

RoddyB

Hey all, just wondering if anyone can help.

I recently bought a '75 mk3 cortina 1600 wagon and it's been missing a bit around medium revs. had a look at the distributer cap and it's all gouged out where it sparks across. not knowing much i replaced the cap and retested. no change. didn't have time to look into it for a week or so then had another look the other day and the new cap is even more worn than the one i replaced.

i then gave the rotor a wiggle and it has about 5mm of play. Pulled the whole dizzy out and started to pull it to bits to see if i cud find what was worn. havn't finished doing that yet but basically wondering if anyone can tell me if i am wasting my time? can you recondition them (is there someone in CHCH) or should i be looking to replace it? i'm short on cash too (like most of us)

I dont think it's the original dizzy in there atm:

MOTORCRAFT

73BBBA4BD

any pointers would be a huge help.

cheers

There were Motorcraft dizzys fitted to pintos originally, as well as Bosch, and probably others. 5mm play will only continue to trash caps. I'd look for a spare - it'll probably be cheaper than a rebuild. I've only got one, so can't really help. The Sierra ones fit, too, and they come with electronic ignition. Which is a bonus but don't forget the computer.

Ah!

If wiki is to be believed;

In late 1973, the car received a facelift. Outside, there were revised grilles, rectangular headlights for the XL, GT and the new 2000E (the "E" standing for executive), which replaced the GXL. The 1.3 L Kent engine was carried over but now, 1.6 L models all used the more modern 1.6 L SOHC engine.

Being a 75, should be Pinto as you chaps say. I'll return to my hole.

cheers, will have a look around.

also, if i wanted to put a 5 speed into it is what would you guys advise in terms of something easy to do? I have no experience? is there anything that pretty much bolts straight on? sierra?

It's one of the easier things you can do. At worst you'll need to modify the gear box cross member a bit.

I have a dizzy from a 1.6 SOHC in unknown condition you can have for a doz and I'm in chch