Oil Filter Blow Out

NewGuy

Now i might just be dumb here but i am still kind of worried.

Yesterday i started my car to drive down to the shed.

I heard a noise like the fan was hitting something, so i switched the car and fan off and rolled the rest of the way to the shed out of gear.

THen when i popped the bonet i found oil everywhere.

All over my nice shiney cleaned engine!!!!

I saw the seal on the oil pump sticking out the side of the pump.

My gut dropped.

SO i jacked the car up, lossened the filter off, checked the seal was in place it was it is one that is pressed into the filter.

BTW i am a spin on.

So i thought hmmm maybe it just came loose an blew the seal.

So i tightened the filter back into place and replenished the oil supply.

I then did some tuning of the carbs after it had warmed up.

Then this morning i start the car and the seal blows out again instantly!!!!

After i spent a good hour cleaning her up yesterday!!!!!!!!!! GRRR

So is it just a bad filter or seal??? Or is it an internal problem Pressure switch or something?

Leading up to this event i did a oil and filter change before i did a 3 hour trip to and from as i had cracked 1000 odd miles.

After that trip i removed the current filter thats still on the car (as i had only done 120Miles),to get the oil leaks under control. I replaced the Oil pump thinking that was what was leaking, it wasn't banged the filter back on and did another 300miles. No troubles and very little oil leaking.

I then did another small day trip for work and drove him that night with no problems at all.

A. Because i used it more than once?

B. Bad filter?

C. Something of the slant four that i have not found out about yet

Hmmm The pump is Brand New lol

Where the relief valve is.

Seems really odd

So the best way to look over this would be old filter off, take spin on conversion off and inspect the condition of the surfaces. Put that back on new filter on replenish oil and see it it does it again?

you siad somthing about a spin on conversion??? explain?

they usually have a cartridge type filter that goes inside a holder and has a center bolt that goes up the middle of the cartridge holding it in place.

as a after market part, you can convert it to use a spin on type filter.

Just an adapter plate really

check the oil pressure reliefs valve is wokring and aint corroded et. by the sounds of it that what the problem is , unless you have two seals on there ( i highly doubt that) , or have scored the mating surfaces.

I agree in the last 20 years I have had just 5 oil releif valves stick(these were brand new) and have seen many others.

The only thing to cause filters leak when running is:

pressure, loose filter and manufacturing fault.

the second one above is easy to find the 3rd on is hard to provr without diagnosing the whole problem.

Check it with a mechanical oil pressure guage not an electric one for an accurate reading.

Oil releif valves are just another thing we forget about when we rev our engines high.

I have seen more oil relief valves stick due to crap poured in with the oil when refilled after the fittment of the new filter housing.

You should have no more than about 45-60 psi pressure at idle on a could engine being a triumph and about 20psi at idle (remembering that this could vary a lot an gauges can be different.

Let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to recap

My Filter Seal Blew out.

Got a new filter checked the swap over numbers etc etc was def the right filter.

Did 300 odd miles no problems.

Then last Thursday night im getting the car ready to go to Auckland the next day and i fuck up some cabling.

Disconnect a wire and forget where and what it is supposed to be connected to.

I then sleep on and im shiting myself i really didn't want to drive the Van etc, the ute was busy working.

Get up at 6am dreamt bout what i had done got up and fixed it.

Tidied up the cables, started the car and pop fucking oil seal blows again im like wtf cursing and swearing and generally going freaking mental.

Jack the car up grab the filter and its loose as fuck.

I know that filter was mega tight i was pissed off even more because id just put another $30 worth of new Fusch oil in her.

So i take the bloody spin on conversion off and fine the problem is....

That the filter is only just touching the seal before it runs out of thread, making it feel tight and slightly seal. I have no idea how it came undone. There must have been no pressure on the filters seal.

It was still holding 60odd psi though.

The filter was wrong because it's mounting point was outwards not inwards.

Anyhow BNT gave me a trade account and a free filter.

Though i really wanted the $90 of oil id wasted on oiling my driveway and the $30 id spent on Cum Kleen <<

So problem solved.