How would I get this off?

fuel

hey guys, just replacing the CV boots on my Eterna, but I'm stuck getting this circlip off the driveshaft - it doesn't have any holes in it to put normal circlip pliers, and I've tried levering a small screwdriver under it but it either spins around or just comes up a little bit but can't fully get it out of its groove.

DSCF0804.jpg

anyone got ideas?

chur

haha my fav part of doing cv's :evil:

snapring is what its called i think. i get them off with circlips pliers or using a twisting motion with a screwdriver to slowly bring the whole ring out of its groove they can be right mongrels specially when their on the car still.

yeah I tried the twisting motion - that's how I got the first smaller circlip out haha. but this one is much stronger and I can get it out of the groove maybe 0.5mm but just can't seem to budge it from there.

at one stage I had three screwdrivers on it haha.. one holding it up at the end and two around the clip trying to pry it up - that clip is just too thick and strong to use the screwdriver method

well with that circlip in place it makes it difficult to slide the boots over (am doing both inner and outer), one of the boots has a slightly smaller diameter too and it's enough of a stretch as it is getting it onto the driveshaft, let alone going over that clip - but I'll give it a jam tomorrow.

well with that circlip in place it makes it difficult to slide the boots over (am doing both inner and outer), one of the boots has a slightly smaller diameter too and it's enough of a stretch as it is getting it onto the driveshaft, let alone going over that clip - but I'll give it a jam tomorrow.

chuck some KY on it boe

Wrap some insulation tape around the splines and (over the) clip... that'll form a kind of ramp over the clip. Chuck a bit of lube on top of the tape and the boot will slide over easy as pie with no risk of the clip cutting the boot. Once it's on, remove the tape and the job's a carrot! :)

.. it would be cheaper to buy some?? and not root the pliers lol

shit how many have a broken of those , dont need to weaken them in any way .

and also , your then pulling to get its apart .. this as you should know WILL lead to flesh missing of the knuckles and a bruised wrist , i dont think phil want to miss out on any fapping