McStrut Woes

V8Pete

I changed springs and srut mounts and bearings and now the top nut/cup thing doesn't stay seated when the car's on the ground. Springs aren't silly-low/short.

What it used to look like/what it looks like now when jacked up:

img1630sd1.jpg

What it looks like when on the ground (actually looks a bit worse, but that was as hard as I could lift it with car jacked up):

img1631ic0.jpg

Rangi exploded view of the bits:

img1632gs5.jpg

img1633yi5.jpg

I thought I'd put it together wrong, so pulled it apart and checked against a standard one, but it was all ok. The only difference is the new rubber mount hasn't compressed as much as the old ones. I've done about 1000 km on the new mounts/springs/bearings. I can't do the nut up any tighter.

Any ideas?

It makes really yuck sounding clunks going over bumps etc.

I had more of a look/think/play and the only thing I can think of is that the new mounts are too small when compressed :oops:

Does that sound about right? I might try the old ones tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah...

Apparently that pokey outyness is normal. But because the original washers didn't fit over the pistons, I used some that I thought were OK, but it looks like perhaps that and maybe the combination of porridge Mountshop top mount rubbers meant the nut was bottoming out on the thread and not clamping everything together properly. So this afternoon the passenger side nut came off on a fang. :oops:

Looks like nothing got damaged thankfully.