panel steel?

mark105

shit this has gotten confusing all i asked for was what kind of mild steel to use.

Basically as I said... the lower carbon you can get, the better. Unless you're looking at using it for any more heavily structural applications :)

I was under the impression that only metals with iron in them could rust.. The others just corrode/oxydise.

Is this correct?

This is correct.... but "rust" is just a name we give to Iron oxide. Most metals corrode in just the same manner as Steel/Iron does. Lead oxidises, copper oxidises, aluminium oxidises, zinc oxidises etc..

In the end, the deal with galvanic corrosion is more one related to area. If you use alloy (higher in the galvanic series) rivets to hold together a couple of sheets of stainless steel (lower in the galvanic series) and expose it to saltwater (or road-spray), it'll corrode like buggery because all of the surface area of the less-reactive stainless is concentrated into corroding the small aluminium rivet. If you use a stainless bolt to hold a couple of sheets of Aluminium together, the same thing happens but the small bolt's influence on the large alloy plates is minor and the Aluminium will corrode at such a slow rate as not to be noticeable.

All of this is way off topic of course, I was just rebutting the statement that softer metals galvanically corrode in preference to harder ones. If this was the case, all of the (soft) copper wiring that's earthed to your car's steel chassis would corrode away to nothing long before bubbles of rust started to show on the chassis.

easy answer = 0.8mm mild steel...

Espirit sounds like he knows whats what so i'll believe him

i only paint/restore cars for a living .. what would i know :P

im just not as techincal cause most of what i have learnt is via experience not textbooks..

im just not as techincal cause most of what i have learnt is via experience not textbooks..

I work as an Engineer and a Metallurgist. 5 years at varsity and ten years in the trade.... it's kinda "what I do" ;)

I work as an Engineer and a Metallurgist. 5 years at varsity and ten years in the trade.... it's kinda "what I do" ;)

where do you work? i may need your expertise...

sheepers

Guest vvega

its not that hard to tell

people forget that just when you think your clever...someone who dose it for a living comes along

its not that hard to tell

people forget that just when you think your clever...someone who dose it for a living comes along

I get that when driving... just when I think I'm pretty handy behind the wheel, someone shows me up BIG time and makes me look like a soccermom (/dad?). Even more amusing when they're female :mrgreen:

I think that deserves a

oh-snap.jpg

this reminds me of high school physics, every year the first thing they say when you start a new subject "forget what we taught you last year, that was just to teach you the principle, this is what really happens"

i second this comment very much.lol