Jump to content

zep's Gemini Coupe


zep
 Share

Recommended Posts

I guess I spoke (typed?) too soon, and all is not well. It was always the plan to repaint over parts of the chrome on the surrounds. I was concerned about using traditional primer and paint as I knew it would be risky to key up the vacuum metalising, so I decided to use plastidip. I masked it all up nicely and it went on quite well. Unfortunately, when I went to pull the masking off it started to pull the plastidip off too. I then decided to just remove all the plastidip, and guess what came with it? Parts of the metalising. So cool.

IMG_20200719_113816.jpg.26370eff85a6a75ff3672a1bc5f78c4f.jpg

IMG_20200719_113831.jpg.6c137d59101d7dc59ac9315be1def433.jpg

I'm not super sure on the next step. The guy who removed the chrome did say that he could try and actually chrome them for me, but the results are often mixed as getting it to stick to old plastic can be hard. I might try that anyway. Pretty annoyed though.

The other option is to just paint them black.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2 months later...

No huge update here. I have been playing around with Sketch Up and had a jam at mocking up the sump bowl:

image.png.77c8fd77951c31713bfe3e7e1742b394.png

Also received more stuff. This is a booster check valve for using a braided hose.

IMG_20201001_085813.thumb.jpg.fee79b40813932a88282f78a6f1f3d7d.jpg

In other news. @EURON8 has been helping me get the 4ZD1 into the engine bay, making mounts, as well as mounting my new intercooler.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So it looks like I might have been a little to quick to pull that pedal out. The thing is, e-throttle pedals have two APSs (Accelerator Position Sensors), they both read the same thing but are used for contingency so it can't get stuck on or something. Essentially, the ECU reads both sensors and if they are the same it says "go". They are both 0-5v. The Hella units are not designed in this same way. They have one APS that is 0-5v, and another PWM 12v output that is not supported by either Link or Haltech. The workaround is to split the single APS output from the pedal into two wires at the ECU, essentially sending the same signal to each. However, this eliminates the contingency. I've had a stuck accelerator pedal before and it's not fun. In light of that I think I'm going to try and find a Bosch unit that has the correct outputs. There seem to be plenty - I've already seen some on eBay that are cheaper to buy and ship to NZ than it is to get from Pick-A-Part.

I hope my mistake has been enlightening for others!

Otherwise, I'm just dropping this wiring info for the Bosch throttlebody here:

953364970_Boschtbwiring.png.efce14613811546af8df27f39b090c10.png

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...