My 89 courier turbo project (take 2) [dsl beware :-) ]

fishtailfred

("You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to a real car. If you cannot afford a real car, one will be provided to you by Instant Finance..")

LOL, yeah, thats true. then again, if its also not registered to the right address... they give up fairly quickly unless you have say 3 willing witnesses who are happy to testify :wink: woops. I still think they'll give me less trouble than they did in the black ex-skyline though, and definitely less trouble than the 500 times i got pulled in my matt black 83 mirage geneva II with 8 speed box that ran 19 flat at mere mere with no aircleaner :-) i actually had a warrant, reg, and licence with nothing wrong and nothing owing, so i took to making them feel bad and demanding that they tell me why they followed me for 5km first etc... ummm urrrrr always worth a laugh.

• 1 year later...

For the record, that ute has ALWAYS had a hinged rear plate, simply hung from some wire. It's better when you back into shit because it doesn't break. Anything else is a bonus. Also for the record, the reverse lights are primarily for reversing (duh!) Again, anything else is a bonus (eg lighting up a party in a field or something).

Bumpy Bumpy :

I now own a van :-)

freda.jpg

freda2.jpg

freda3.jpg

It's in NZ and I'm in the UK, but I still managed a burnout :wink:

The van comes with 5 studs and disk brake rear end, so those bits will be going on the ute and the van to the dump :-) Obvious benefits to 5 studs include easy Monster front rotor choice, easy wheel choice, both of those cheap too. Disk brake rear = less work. The stock brakes were getting WAY too hot even with 700C race pads, and I hadn't really pushed them hard.

In other news I also own a pair of these :

S1030834.jpg

Should help skew the power curve towards the top end a bit :-)

Enjoy!

Fred.

Cheers guys :-)

What is an "FF" thread? I think he is signed up on here.

The "shit tin" ,as he calls it, has been somewhat stagnant for a while. It ran, went well, and so the itch struck again. He's been working flat out on the supra project for a while, see here :

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9165 (login required i think)

DAMN it... just slept in a bit... till 5pm. there goes any chance of a new release of FreeEMS today...

Fred.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have this in my possession yet, but these should be shipped to NZ at some point in the nearish future. The will allow me more room to use a larger filter and/or adapters and what have you for oil cooling if I end up needing it.

CIMG2469.jpg

CIMG2468.jpg

CIMG2467.jpg

CIMG2466.jpg

As it stands I can't fit a ryco Z150 in there because the steering shaft is too close with the bigger OEM oil cooler/heat exchanger. The Z150 (SA fram/filpro ph2979a) is standard fitment on another F engine with exactly the same journal sizing and oil pump setup and thus perfect for this application according to both the OEM and myself.

Z150.jpg

Website_Pic_8_Spec.jpg

I had enough trouble getting a Z148 (not Z148x which is small and shitty) on there as it's fairly tight even with at 120mm long, let alone the nice big 150x80 unit.

That will be arriving in the same box with the cam gears :-) I can't wait!

Fred.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump from the dead...

A few of you bastards have seen this now, and a bunch more I met at Taupo, good times. I figure I should update the thread a little.

--------------------------------------------

So, I arrived back on the 14th or 16th of November last year (09) at about 7am. By 1pm or so slacker.cam and I were boosting it up some back roads for a laugh :-)

I gave it a cylinder lube with CRC and then it fired up on the 3 year old gas on 3 cylinders, and came onto four after a minute or so of running. Not bad. Toluene doesn't lose it's octane rating with time given that it's pure solvent, so it was probably OK.

I added the brake booster check valve - dangerous without this...

I replumbed the wastegate line correctly - difficult to drive without this...

I added an extra throttle return spring to be sure to be sure - safety measure...

Some other minor shit.

I blew the diff out of it doing 207kph with a slipping clutch and Uterus in it late one night. Turns out I only put 0.5l of oil in it about 4 years ago before the big power mods. woops. So now it has a new equally crappy ratio 4.444444 mig spec super locker/locked/solid lsdish thing which is good fun, sometimes. The LSD carrier got chewed up by the pinion gear sliding back into it... not good.

Vid here :

That was a day or two later when my step bro came up, we went out to do some skids and that happened...

It was also pissing oil out pretty bad... I suspected wrongly that the rear main was installed, by me, incorrectly, so I pulled everything apart only to find tha tthe sump was the issue. Some dumb arse, me, had painted the mating surfaces when he put it together and the silicone had stuck to the paint. The paint hadn't stuck to the steel however and the oil was gushing out around the edges and dripping down through the bell like it was the rear main. Because of this I thought the clutch was wet with oil -- it wasn't. Turns out I got sold a stock rx7 turbo pressure plate as a HD unit - not cool, my fault though, probably. So I got autoclutch to upgrade it from 1360lb to 2430lb or something like that. I also got the organic disk that I had relined in carbon kevlar because two independent people said it would shit itself if I got some traction and dumped it hard. The carbon/kev is steel backed and physically stronger so wont fly apart under heavy load.

With the new clutch, I went out alone the night I finished it and played around a bit. It turned out that the old clutch had been slipping in 3, 4 and 5, not just 4/5 as now it spins through 3rd mildly out to 110kph. It's controllable though, unless you turn the steering wheel at the time. Part of my playing was another shot at the top speed thing. From a stop to 210kph 7500 in 5th in about 17 seconds, you can argue the exact time if you like, but close enough, and the launch sucked. I'll be doing it on the gtech and better passenger held video again soonish.

- terrible video, just the sound counts, really.

Then I decided to pick up my step bro from the airport in it as he had requested, so did some quick hack work to make it a little more stealthy - I gave it sides/back. And I modified the deck a bit to improve it too.

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/dscn0478.1024.jpg

Then later that night I drove it over to the OS meetup... on 3 cyls... and did a burnout for the lads... on 3 cylinders...

http://picasaweb.google.com/oldschool.c ... 4736417042

In between the airport and the OS meet I also bodgied up a power supply for one of the two fans to keep temps down while stationary/going slow - a rare occurance.

I don't think I've forgotten anything. Most stuff on it is as it was 3 years ago.

Lots of plans, but only low budget/free shit wil be getting done in the short term as I completely ran out of money recently and can't buy race seats or large front brakes yet.

So, there you have it :-) The ute thread bumped and updated in a fairly summary like manner.

Fred.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...