Things I urgently need done for my cert!!

zep

Hey guys,

Went for my cert this morning and there are two major things which need doing - fabrication wise...

1. Need a new fuel tank/custom tank mounted in the boot as a diff mount it hitting the floor before the diff hits the bump stops and is getting very close to the tank.

Where can I get a tank made? I want to use my standard in-tank lift pump and fuel level floats if possible.

2. Need to get some 60x5mm steel stitch welded to the floor pan, following the contours of the floor. It also needs two spacing blocks welded onto it. Where can I get this done

I'm really looking to get this crap done before x-mas so if anyone knows where I can sort it out ASAP that would be excellent.

Auckland region is the best for me.

Cheers

shit yeah, most decent engineers shoudl be able to do it. whether they will be scared off by the whole 'fuel tank' thing or not is a different story.

the whole rigidity steel thing seems really agricultural sounding to me. I wouldn't have thought it would help that much at all, whilst looking rugged. lol

Brad: It's reinforcing the floor above the torque-tube x-member. He wants the spacers to be welded in place on the floor to stop twising force, etc.

It's beacuse all the weight of the diff when the clutch is released is pulling on an x-member that is held onto the car by two m10 bolts. He wants there to be more rigidity where the x-member mounts to the car. We'll also be drilling out the mounting holes to accommodate m12 bolts.

We looked at width ways but there is too much shit for it to foul on.

The countouring of the plate isn't a massive issue, just getting it to be the same shape as the trans tunnel is the main thing. We did look at a few ways and that's what he came up with.

So pretty much just need to find someone who can do it!

Macarbe: I did look into it, but if I get a fuel cell then would I be able to still use my standard Gemini in-tank lift pump and fuel level reader? I don't really want to have to buy a new fuel pump and float system as well as that will probably just add up to the same as the new tank...

Best way to set up a fuel cell anybody?

I found someone to do the floor pan work for me. A dude from a local panel shop who races midgets, seems keen as.

I would suggest the guy that did my shit but he's in Te Awamutu. Plus he did stuff shitty but I think with supervision and if you tell him exactly what to do, it could be done well.

My fuel cell was $400 and incorporates my standard chevette sender and it works well. The baffles in it don't however.

I think you could get a custom fuel cell made and use your sender and in-tank pump.

If you pay to get this done through a shop it will probably cost about $800 though so I can't really suggest a good idea regarding who can make it up there.

Anyone that can make a fuel cell would have no trouble slapping those other brackets together.

edit: Jase/burntrubber?

alot of sheet metal places could make you a new tank, with holes etc to allow you to use the origional level sender etc. same sorta thing as boe-rads one, place thats making your other thing might even be able to do it

i'll talk to my works sheetmetal guy tommorow out of interest

what else did it fail on boe?

Umm..

- Needs bias valve in rear brakes

- Diff brake line can't be copper line

- Drive shaft loop for front

- A bolt on panhard rod wasn't tight

- Turbo needs heat protection beanie thing

- Foam padding on roll cage

- floor/x-member reinforcing (as above)

- move fuel tank, raise floor a tad over diff mount (as above)

- steering wheel needs straightening or replacing

So yeah, two majorish things, well harder than the others to fix. The rest arent too bad.

Rough ^

Can you raise the tank up a bit just by making brackets. Sounds like you'd only need an inch or so. That will allow you to raise the floor a bit and then reinforce this area with a 4-5mm plate so that in worst case scenario it won't break through and penetrate the tank.

Yeah... dunno about that steering wheel thing aye.. jsut something he said.

I'm not sure I can just move the tank because of the straight pipe to the filler...

I talked to one place on the phone who can make me one, but I'm also still keen to know what is involved with getting a fuel cell in there.