Oil Coolers

zep

I need to sort myself out an oil cooler for my new turbs engine. It's getting a bit hot.

I've been looking at some of the kits on Trade Me and they look pretty good:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... ch&x=0&y=0

I'm just not sure what size I need... does the size matter? Can you get too[/t] big?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

I'm not 100% sure that it's oil temp, but.. I would like to run an oil cooler anyway, jsut to be safe. Both the workshop who tuned my engine and the shop that built recommended that I run one, so I will.

You mean an oil cooler thermostat right?

I'm not 100% sure that it's oil temp, but.. I would like to run an oil cooler anyway, jsut to be safe. Both the workshop who tuned my engine and the shop that built recommended that I run one, so I will.

You mean an oil cooler thermostat right?

Yup he means a oil Stat, this way you carn't run the oil to cool.

Running the oil at a cooler level than what it should normally operate at voids

that the oil is doing the best job that it should be.

So yea you can run as big of an oil cooler as you want but a smaller option would be fine, for weight reasons, positioning etc.

Just make sure you find the approx temp of the oil when the car has been underload and run a stat just under that?

yeah, thats what i meant.

i have no idea what my oil temps are, but i went silly on the radiator, and my coolant only warms up when idling still, or doing static burnouts, driving it drags it back down to 65C - 55C depending on speed and load. thats with a good brand new oem thermostat properly installed too.

i have an oil to water heat exchanger on mine, i suspect that due to the low water temp and big sump my oil temps are ok, but its on my list of things to find out for sure.

is your turbo oil cooled only (mine is) or both oil and water?

if the latter, its unlikely to be an oil issue.

a mate of mine came up with the rather cunning idea of using a small bike radiator and a water to oil cooler to cool the oil. that way no danger of losing oil pressure with a bad hose, and if you do lose water from it, its only it, and not the whole engine. pretty cunning. if i have oil issues, i will probably try that first.

same guy has an mx5 with a similar engine setup to mine. he has high oil temps, but sweet water temps, and quite a big oil cooler, but not the best airflow to it. i'd consider the airflow when choosing your size. if there isnt much, might not cool so well even if big.

fred.

yeh mate if you racing it full tit and running it at high temps then get a big cooler.

but engines that dont have a cooler still run well so ive found in the past the best way is to get a small cooler (as its better then none) mount it at the front and it will work nicly i had mine in the gaurd and had a fan of a old computer pulling the air threw and it was sweet .

but waht these guys are saying i agree 100% realy cold is just as bad as realy hot.

dan

The turbo is water cooled as well as oil. I'ev been told I can not run the water lines if I like... I might do that and just test the temps as the water line from the turbo gets mega hot.

Sweet, well I may just measure up the space I have and go from there, that water-oil setup sounds sweet but maybe too much effort for me!

Don't worry, I'm not going to run it too cold, it seems that average driving temps are around 85-90C and when it's idling it gets up to just over 100C. Need more fan area on the rad too tho. Will do things step by step and see what works.

Its probably just the amount/size of fans on your radiator causing the overheating at standstill. I take it they are electric? Or do you still have the engine driven one? Might need more/bigger ones. Cos if it runs fine temp when its moving it just means there isnt enough airflow at idle.

But an oil cooler would be for good measure

..and yea, if the turbo gets hot WITH water cooling. Just imagine how hot its going to get without!!

Yeah, they are electric. I am currently running 12" fan pushed far to one side and am looking to put another 10" fan in there next to it. Heopfully that should be enough.

I'm not going to run no waterlines unless it is fully last resort, there are a few other things I can try first.

you need a bigger radiator by the sounds of it.

one of or both of two things will happen if you take away the coolant lines to the turbo :

turbo will run much more hot and not last as well

heat will end up in oil destroying it sooner and overheating the oil for the engine instead of the coolant.

definitely run coolant to the turbo if it was designed for it.

also, in that case, the thing to do is get your water cooling under control first. if you measure oil temps after that, and they are crook, then do the oil cooler.

do you have electric fans on the radiator? if not, time to get a decent one or two for low speed situations. your radiator might be ok if its only at idle that you are having issues.

on the track, the airflow from the speed keeps things pretty reasonable unless its grossly undersized.

The radiator is pretty big, say in comparrison to the one brad has in his wagon, it's far wider.

It was only made 2 weeks ago, I talked to the dude about it and he told me that it's be sweet for turbo "this'll cool a 6 mate" etc.

It's 2 pretty massive cores, rather than 3 smaller ones. He said that this is what is going down these days, chaning back from 3 core to 2 big ones.

It currently has 1x 12" electric fan on it (and yes, it's pushing the right way), but there is enough room to run another 10" fan next to it, which I will sort out ASAP.

After reading this I'm sure it wouldn't be getting too hot unless there is some kind of problem somewhere or unless the turbo is just heating the fuck out of the water because I haven't dealt with any turbo setups that use oil and water cooling before.

As you say, my radiator is much smaller and it has a crappy nissan fan that blows from the front, which never even turns on unless idling for 10+ minutes. Even in that 30+ minute traffic jam on the way to taupo my water temp didn't raise.

Obviously a more modern NA engine would take alot less to cool than an older engine with a turbo hanging off the side but I can't imagine it would be that bad.

I would run an oil cooler for piece of mind, as when I looked into turboing my g200w it seemed like the best option, but I can't imagine that you should have any cooling problems with your freshly rebuilt engine and a brand new cooling system that is clearly up to the task.

Yeah, I will run an oil cooler for their mind-calming abilities.

Another thing is that my turbo water return drops in after the thermostat just above the water-temp sender. It might be a good idea to shift this I think. Would it be best to try and route the hot turbo water so it goes in to the radiator some how?

Another thing is that my turbo water return drops in after the thermostat just above the water-temp sender.

You don't think the extremely hot water from the turbo is just fucking with your temp guage making it think its hoter than the engine temp water actually is. Your temp guage should be inside the thermo rather than outside it though aye (ie on the engine side rather than rad side)?

I reckon if your turbo water return is coming in after the thermo on the way to the rad it should be fine.