help! Electrical problems... 78 lancer with 4g63, coil +more

P_Star

Hey kids, ok so the engine and box is in, everything is connected (I do have some spare wires mind.. hmm

ok She is turning over, problem is I have no spark from the coil... I am assuming it is wired wrong... however It is set up exactly the same as when I pulled it outta the donor.

any ideas how i can check what is wrong? could there be something blatantly stupid I have not hooked up... an earth or something? i dunno throw what you have at me.

donorcoilwiring.jpg

how it was in the donor... current setup identical... just wondering if there is a wire down below somewhere I cant see.. I appear to have a spare wire (yellow but in a black sleeve) by the alternator which appears to be live when ignition is on... don't know if that is relevant to anything??

yup tried that also...

both coils and leads... everything in fact was working in both previous incarnations... ie, donor car started and ran and the orange car was running like a dream so i suspect it must be me being a retard with regards to a conection somewhere.... quite frustrating I must say.

Haha um, is not getting as far as the dizzy, no spark at the lead that goes to it.

Ok... n00b question time... where am i checking voltage... across the + and- terminals of the coil? because when ignition is on both sides appear to have current out... in which case do I just test each terminal individually? or am I supposed to be testing the centre plug thing where the spark generates from? sorry n00b stuff no doubt

and what should the voltage be? 12ish volts???

Haha i know exactly how you feel. it took me two days to get a spark!! anyway my problem resulted in the points gap being too large and not allowing the coil to charge up enough so i suggest checking this. Also with the points open and the ignition on there should be 12V between the SW or + terminal of the coil and earth.

ok, just check the voltage at both sides of the coil with the wires unpluged from the coil to stop it confusing you.

all the wires unplugged... then there is no charge going to the coil? or with just the main live feed hooked up and not the others? will go do that in a sec and report back.. really appreciate this by the way

ok the negative side is reading 7.5v and the positive side says 12ish. just with the ignition on (not cranking her over)

however I have a sneaking suspicion I have more than just the coil issue.. when I was testing it I had the voltmeter negative on the battery negative...

Both neg and pos terminals on the battery got super hot after just a few seconds cranking... hmmm I think i have a bit of a serious fuckup in my wiring somewhere... might have to turn it over to some proffessionals as much as I hate doing that...

yeah thats right... I have no voltage with the wires off... with them on I get 7ish and 12ish.

the dizzy has 2 wires coming off it... should not one be to the positive and one to the negative side of the coil? thats how it was set up before...

I have no idea why the battery terminals are getting hot... something is clearly backward

ok, im fucking baffled, checked the wiring diagram today and everything appears to be correct, however i am still getting hot positive terminal... smoke coming off it etc when I wind it over... any idea why this would be?

I checked all the earths they are ok

I checked the starter motor and that works fine on the bench, also checked the switching wire for the starter and that is working properly...

so why would the positive battery terminal be getting hot when I wind the engine over? I suspect this problem is probably causing the coil issues...