Starion/Sigma Gearbox into Celeste.

RWD4G62NZ

Fellas,

I have had several drama's with getting my ratio's right in my Celeste and I came to some interesting conclusions today. I'm running a EX Lancer gearbox which came with my Celeste and I got the part numbers off it and found that its off a 1300 model!!! Could be at least half the reason why it has such short legs!

QUESTION: Does anyone know if a G63 equiped Starion or Sigma gearbox will bolt into my Celeste? I'm sure that it will bolt to the bellhousing but I want to know if the gearbox mounts and shifter hole all meet up? Also were they cable or hydrolic clutch? I see SOLJAH is bolting a RWD DOHC 63 into his EX Lancer so I'd be keen to hear from him how it worked out cause he'll more than likely be using a starion box.

Cheers.

gidday mate

your running a fwd 4g63 which means it is know as a narrowblock engine

you cant bolt a starion gearbox to this engine as it is from a wideblock starion engine (this gearbox is definately the best option

RWD turbo blocks are wideblock

n/a rwd blocks are narrowblock (sigma, ex lancer etc)

fwd blocks are all narrowblock

sigma or l200 box is your best bet, identical to starion boxes (ratios, and internal specs) except the bearings are not thrust bearings i believe, so dont take quite asmuch punishment

most people have have heard of having problems with these boxes wreack bearings rahter than smashing gears etc

difference betwen l200 and sigma is the shifter sits about 2.5 inches further forward on the l200 than the sigma

im using l200 box as it means my gearstick comes out in the factory hole not sure what it like for celeste wether its more like a sigma or lancer?

with lancer all i needed was a factory starion/ or ex lancer 5 speed ( 4 speed doesnt work) gbox crossmember and it bolted up fine, if you are using a 5speed gbox crossmember i think it will work but once again not sure as i havent seen under a celeste

siamg and l200 are cable clutch starion is hydraulic

you rwd flywheel and starter will work fine not sure on clutch though, dunno about the splines :? im pretty sure ex is like a 20 spline whereas sigma/l200 is 23 spline

anything else im sure one of the other boys lowlancer or caboon etc will put me straight or give you definates

cheers

Cheers man, Thanks for the info eh. I'm not running a G63 tho. It's a 4G62 1.8 Turbo out of the Cordia, not sure that matters with what you are saying as yes it was obviously originally a FWD engine. Hopefully FUEL and a couple of the other Mitsi nuts may be on line later and will have more to add.

I'm not 100% sure eh. My Celeste when I got it had a 4G32 which is the 1600 and when I removed the engine and gearbox that's when I found that it had EX Lancer written on the box so maybe mine may have been a 4 speed originally but being a 1981 1600XL I would not have thought so eh??? I know that the EX lancer box bolts up to 4G37(1800 FWD) as I've had that engine in my Celeste too. I'm sure now having read what's been written here and I've looked at a couple of pictures of Starion and Sigma boxes on trade me that they will bolt up to my bellhousing but maybe not have the same gearbox mounts and also the clutch fork maybe on the wrong side with the Starion ones. Mine's on the righthand side of the box and is cable. They also look to be a little longer than mine.

Yeah your engine is narrow block while Starion turbo (and Eterna/Galant turbo RWD) are wideblock so wont bolt up at the bellhousing.

4G37 would have bolted to your gearbox cause it has the exact same block as the 4G32 which was originally in there. I don't think 4G11 bolts up to 4G32/4G63 gearbox.

Only turbo RWD is wideblock, turbo FWD/4WD is narrowblock also. He's running a 4G62 originally out of a FWD Cordia so his engine is narrowblock, so basically he's open to alot of gearbox choices such as Sigma 2L, L200, Lancer/Celeste 1.6L etc