Corona 4Speeds, gear box options

danger

I've heard that the old steel case corona 4 speed boxes are just about bullet proof and have 0-400m ratios for rotarys.

Found one for very cheap and I'm wondering whether its perhaps a better option that a S5 gearbox?

What do you need to do to adapt it for a 13bt? Do I need a custom bellhousing?

Wanting to run 300-500hp through it.

What other options would suit, keeping in mind that its basically just for a drags.

old steel case is w-40. just the 4 speed version of the celica/supra 5 speed.

I assume you will need a custom bell housing, or even just an adaptor plate. try and get an auto bell housing to suit a 13b, assuming they are 2 splitable item, and then get the rear face placeced to suit the w-40,. they are a simple box, the bell hosing bolts on with 4 bolts.

I dont know what sort of power these can truely handle, but in the last mont I have dne 3 w-50 conversions on diffrent v-8s at work, but non of them are high output of anything.......

Allan

the old corona 4 speeds will be a w40 dont know exact number but some people have put decent power through them. Same gear set as a w50 so seach around and see what people have used them behind. ratios are

* First Gear: 3.287:1

* Second Gear: 2.043:1

* Third Gear: 1.394:1

* Fourth Gear: 1.00:1

* Reverse: -4.091:1

determining factor for me would be if a bell housing is available off the shelf or will you have to cut 'n shut two together or make an adapter plate

theres definitely a bell for later w55/57/58 boxes

EDIT: dam beat me to it

i had a w40 and a w50 for sale a while back, the dude who picked it up was putting it behind some form of holden motor for drag racing and took the w40 by choice, apparently stronger and better ratio's for racing. it was actually a bigger box externally too from memory (that said my memory isn't all that, i'd like to blame drugs but my memory was shit before i got into all that).

cheers

Matt

from what Ive seen theres different generations of the w40 (this is going on looks rx12's etc have a weird extension on them) and at a guess they would would be the same gear set as the same gen w50. Toyota isnt big on making a whole different box for the 5 speeds its simply the base 4 speed with an extra gear

i've heard of a couple guys running 5ltr v8s and breaking steel case W50 with a good ol thrashing. one is a VL commie with 308, high rise manifold, bug catcher, extractors etc

the alloy w55/w57/w58 are stronger and newer.. known to be good for 300+ hp

i've heard of a couple guys running 5ltr v8s and breaking steel case W50 with a good ol thrashing. one is a VL commie with 308, high rise manifold, bug catcher, extractors etc

the alloy w55/w57/w58 are stronger and newer.. known to be good for 300+ hp

should go chuck a powerglide behind it and leave the toyota stuff alone :D

more boxes for us eh!

condition of box also matters.. if its loose or worn then more likely to shatter gears. also read on the net that a W50 that originally came behind a 6cyl (m-eu ma45 for instance?) have larger bearings than one that come from a 4 (18rg or 3t).

They were also used in 6 cylinder Coronas and imported Crowns and in these applications they were fitted with a heavier-duty needle roller bearing in the front cluster. Unfortunately, you can't tell if this is the case until you pull it apart, but if you do and you find the roller bearing, you know the box has been in a 6 cylinder, a turbo model, or a diesel.

the link to that info...

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html