boost guage acuracy?

drtydog

hey all i just put a boost guage in my r30 skyline, but i'm not sure if it's reading right...the factory one used to show 4psi when on boost (as high as it went lol) before it mysteriously stoped wrking one day :s anyway i got an aftermarket one but it only reads between 2-3.5psi, but when the cars of the needle points a couple marks below 0...u recon the skyline is just a bit wheezy or my boost guage is incorect?

They can be calibrated, but it depends on what brand it is if its worth it or not.

I've found that often Autogage ones are inaccurate, often 2psi or more out.

You find the autogage (which is autometer) to be inacurate? My mates one was bang on.

Autogauge on the other hand is usually inacurate.

I run an autogage one but have never checked my particular one to see if it is accurate. HKS, Greddy etc should be closer to correct as they are a bit more pricey.

They can be calibrated, but it depends on what brand it is if its worth it or not.

I've found that often Autogage ones are inaccurate, often 2psi or more out.

You find the autogage (which is autometer) to be inacurate? My mates one was bang on.

Autogauge on the other hand is usually inacurate.

I run an autogage one but have never checked my particular one to see if it is accurate. HKS, Greddy etc should be closer to correct as they are a bit more pricey.

Sorry no, I meant Auto gauge (realised that when I was in Pioneer this afternoon :lol:) When I sold my old MR2, I swapped my Auto Meter gauge for a Auto Gauge one, and mysteriously gained 2psi.

Also had a Blitz Dual SBC in the car which read boost pressure as well for a reference.

Boost gauges (and any pressure gauges for that matter) are inherently inaccurate, remember they are reading pressure above atmospheric, which means that as you gain altitude (and atmospheric pressure increases) your gauge will read more than you are actually boosting. If your gauge was manufactured (and calibrated) at a higher altitude than where you typically drive, then the gauge will read low. Also remember that the pressure can vary (by up to a couple of PSI) depending on where you take your reading from. Chances are the pressure in your plenum is less than what your turbo is producing (especially if you've got a blinging monstrosity of an intercooler hanging out the front of your bumper)