GTX into LA

davidian

just as a point of interest:

so my mates got this LA hes been working on for years , XA tailights i think, custom steel dash, body work etc

last night he scored:

GTX engine (good cond), MX5 box with some custom bits, custom alloy sump and custom manifold with landcruiser diesel turbo

questions:

-will it fit?

-is that turbo a option? really?

opinions plz

i think hes just gonna mock drop it in and see how it looks

the setup was from a mates bagged ute thats been off the rd for i think 5 years haha

but my maets weighing up ideas, 4g, RB20 etc so if its no go he'll sell it

The engines are OK.. not the best but ok. The gbox was what let them don and you dont have that anymore.

The deisel turbo alol depends on what kind it is etc. If its deisel turebs of a 4wd or so its prob too small etc and wont make fuck all power top end.

If its of a mid size truck or something like the TD06 then it could be used but will be ultimate laggy.

The GTR engine is alot better if ya can get one. Forged internals and a bigger turbs from go.

I bet part of the firewall will need to be chopd to allow for shit to fit. same as when putting a FWD engine in a RWD. I wouldnt bother. 4g63so much better option all in all.

Probably agree with that on second thoughts. I like those engines though. The 1800's go fucking hard for what they are and are faaar more reliable than the little 1600's.

Theres a dude on here that has one in RWD configuration in his 323 I think it is. Cool conversion but its been put on the back burner and he hasn't done much in a while. I think its bolted in there though if you want to check with him for fitment issues in RWD config. He might be able to help you with sump etc.

Can't remmeber user name right now.

For the ease of putting a 4G in though you really do have to wonder.

in all honesty i dont think the 4g would be much diff to mounting a bpt. hard to say without looking tho

ithe mazda thingy is alerady set up for RWD with alloy sump and mx5 box, also everyone would expect the ol mitsi into mitsi thing, i like it when people brake out of the mould a bit.

plus hes a young northland type dude so his thinking is a little different :lol: but very talented guy. just finished a everything s15 into a s13 conversion in no time at all, and the panel work on the LA is not everyones cup of tea but great work

plus hes a young northland type dude so his thinking is a little different :lol: but very talented guy.

haha thats awesome. pretty true aswell..

Its not just the mounting as such aye. Mounts are fuck all, gearbox crossmember, not even difficult. Its the other shit. Wiring two different brands or electrics together, sussing throttle linkages between makes, clutch setups cable/hydraulic, gearbox selector, driveshaft setup, even things like radiator etc. It all adds up to make it way more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm all about thinking outside the box though, so good stuff and good luck to him!

If the engine fits in engine bay without moding firewall then it prob is a very similar conversion to the 4g but with a better gbox. lol. The 4g has so so so much more potential tho.

PS. Alloy sump sucks as they way hard to cut and shunt compared to steel one.

check out amazd.co.nz for info on the mazda motor and turbo to use etc. from memory i think a suby vf10 or a vf8 are bigger and better and bolt straight on.

mazda bpt (gtx) motors are all good, produce good power for what they are. bpd (gtr motors) are better yet as someone mentioned above. a few years ago i chucked a bpt in my fwd 1800 doch familia. went fucken hard and the 1800 fwd box was stronger than a 4wd gtx box. fuck how i miss that car... spinning up from 3rd to 4th on the dry road.... :twisted:

yeah true, ive been in 3 or 4 with a bpt and they launch/go very hard. quite a nice little car with the usually known faults

last one i was in was rough as guts, had been sitting in a paddock in Dargas for a while, still went H/C after a fuel pump change

They fun cars to drive. Even the BFMR are fun.

I had to bolt some kind of sub turbo onto one at work last year. Guy brang it in and said it will fit.. wrong flange and then wehen did change flange the lines didnt reach etc.

He might not have had the same turbo as above tho. Just something oto think about.

We bolted one on. Perhaps he had a later model td04/5 cos I think subies had those. My mate put an earlier model turbo on from a subie. I'm pretty sure the early legacy ones were IHI aswell. Didn't seem to do shit though.

Quite strong motors as I understand, I know a guy in Foxton who is nuts about the Mazda motors (the 2l FE in particular, with big TARBO'S bolted to them) and I was looking at a BFMR changed to RWD with a forged BPT in it reputed to make 500hp (sorry I'm unsure of turbo details) backed with a W57 and a Cosmo diff, lot's of fabrication... so given it fit in the FWD E/W engine bay with ease I'd say it'l fit an LA engine bay with no worries at all, might even get it mounted back quite far as they look like a pretty compact unit.

I secretly lub BFMR's though, cult car fo sho.

Some rexes had TD04's, they're all shit as I understand.

I secretly lub BFMR's though, cult car fo sho.

the old "DOHCA"

top ride in my school days 8)

Hells yeah. Mean soft spot for them. 4 of my mates had them. All blew up in a big cloud of smoke.. and all were relatively well kept too. Must have just been already fucked when they got them I think.

a mate of mine from whakatane had one for fuckin yeeears. two tone on 16'' astrons, used to pull teh box out yearly for a check and clutch/oil change. fucking mintes cond car. plus a sparky so it had the mean sounds

daaaamn i still want it

fuckin O/T, you cunts getting me all teary eyed :lol:

You don't fit the whole Subi VF10 to the GTX, you just fit the VF10s comp wheel and cover to the factory turbo.

Meth the Subis came with TDO4s on the auto and wagon WRXs pre V3 TDO5 on most manuals and i think very early (V1) STi's, all the others are IHI VF series turbos

You don't fit the whole Subi VF10 to the GTX, you just fit the VF10s comp wheel and cover to the factory turbo.

Meth the Subis came with TDO4s on the auto and wagon WRXs pre V3 TDO5 on most manuals and i think very early (V1) STi's, all the others are IHI VF series turbos

yeh my mate just done this conversion, i think he managed to get it all bolting up as factory, as he cut/grafted the coldside housings etc. pulls pretty mean aswell.