Turbs on a NA (twin carb'd) 2.5ltr 6cyl. Can I do it?

blakamin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the compression ratio? how goods the bottom end? Carbs and turbos can work but i wouldnt want to go there. You'd really want to go efi to make sure you have good fueling, so custom intake and exhaust manifolds, then all the usuals intercooler, fuel pump and lines etc. theres alot more to it but cant say I know your motor

thminiman: lolz... that was about my plan... but then I started reading turbo stuff... :?

bottom end happy (7 mains), Compression about 9:1... If I was gunna go FI, it would be the bosch merc mechanical injection so it probably wont happen

engine is a 2.5 litre, alloy head OHC job

The Mercedes-Benz M114 engine is a six cylinder Otto cycle engine with dual two barrel Zenith 35/40 INAT carburetors. The engine displaced 152.4 cu. in. (2496cm3). The engine develops 146 SAE HP, a maximum speed of 6300RPM all with a 9:1 compression ratio.

you could easy run say 7psi even more with decent efi on 9:1, high comp turbo setups go real well if tuned right. what are the rods and pistons like any pics on the net? I'd say with injection It would run mint aye for awhile anyway how many kms she got?

My plan is for new rings and bearings, I wouldn't turbs her without them.

she has been rebuilt at some stage but she's now showin 190k on the odo... means shit tho as the engines were designed for at least 400k before a rebuild anyway.

Will see if i can find pics of some innards... Pistons are flat top. engine is non-xflow. 3! compression rings then an oil ring... It's a mercedes benz M114 engine . I've got pics in my workshop manual, but they're no good here!

sweet as, durty

Now for the TECH bit, people!!! (except Spencer, who is not spammmin :wink: )

What size turbs? any info on plumbing a NA engine anywhere?

If I wanted all out, I'd just go a V8 conversion, but like I says, I don't want to do 7 sec quarters, just want the old bitch to be a bit different (and with a little more "kick")

I got 2 standard turbs from a VG30-DETT (300zx) for $400 if you want them garret T2's I think.... Should be about right.

With 9.1:1 CR you really want to run an intercooler. If you don't want the look of an air air intercooler run a custom water air intercooler or one off a subbie.

Carb or 2 from a supercharged or turbo Lancia as they are designed for blow through from the factory... could be a tuff ask.

Plumbing and you're done......... plus all the million other little things.

T2 doesn't really have enough puff for an inty (Or much more than about 10psi lol) Personally, I'd prefer to use a larger unit running low pressure at good low temps, instead of having a little t2 whistling away puffing hot air into your engine... That's what will cause detonation + kill your motah

Or use Durty's idea :lol: