Engine starting problems

corrupt

ok recently my cars been a bitch to start, especially in the mornings. it will turn over very slowly and sometimes completely stop, and sometimes just click once. usually when it clicks, i either rock the car in gear or jiggle the key from on to start a few times quickly and it solves it. this click problem is also a problem in the afternoon after work etc so i dont think its related to the cold, but the engine turning over slowly in the mornings is definately to do with the cold, and i can usually get it to start with a bit of persistance/waiting/trying again a few times. the oil in the engine is 20w50 which is what it recommends in the manual, maybe its getting too cold over night and thickening up? also thinking of changing the brushes in the starter motor? any ideas?

edit: think it started quite shortly after i chucked the electronic dizzy in, but that might be irrelevant.

Yep starter motor is probaly on its way out, if it gets really bad and clicks then does nothing, sometimes turning the crank pully by hand a tiny bit then trying again helps it engage. But yeh from what I can e-diagnose id say replace the starter yo!

nope, no grinding noises, i think i will go get some new starter motor brushes and do the alternator brushes at the same time. checked/ cleaned 12v going to the starter motor aswell as the earth strap. car turns over fine, with full current when it does eventually decide to start properly. will get some new brushes tonight and do it all tomorrow on the day off, and let you guys know how it goes.

Does it do it at random othertimes too?

My green van used to do this when i first got it and it was actually a timing issue, was either too advanced or retarded. it used to turn over real slow like the bat was flat, then othertimes it would fire right up.

ok recently my cars been a bitch to start, especially in the mornings. it will turn over very slowly and sometimes completely stop, and sometimes just click once. usually when it clicks, i either rock the car in gear or jiggle the key from on to start a few times quickly and it solves it.

Just re read this and it really does sound like your starter. The click is the solenoid engauging the starter gear to the ring gear on flywheel. Rocking it in gear will move the brushes on the commutator so that they get a better contact and give the start enough current to start.

Have a read of http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm

Does it do it at random othertimes too?

My green van used to do this when i first got it and it was actually a timing issue, was either too advanced or retarded. it used to turn over real slow like the bat was flat, then othertimes it would fire right up.

does do the click at other times, and yeah i think the timing may have a thing to do with this, so ill try that first.

does do the click at other times, and yeah i think the timing may have a thing to do with this, so ill try that first.

You said "recently it's been a bitch to start" so I had assumed it wasn't timing.... but you know what they say about making assumptions :wink:

yeah, but if you read my first post again, i also said that it happened shortly after changing distributors :P i must have fucked up the timing, anyway ive retarded it a little bit and will see what startings like when the engine is cold.

ps appco are cunts, spent 30mins in rush hour traffic, got there at 4:59, they wouldnt even give me a price on starter brushes let alone serve me. although they were only liek $10ish at ripco/i wanna try this timing shit out before i take on the task of replacing them.

I had this happen to me when I first turboed my Gemini I locked the dizzy and ran 22 degrees static timing was good untill the plugs were a few weeks old because they were new when did it all. Anyway changed battery first then the starter then the alternator then backed the timing down and it was all good. That was over a year ago and I still use the battery that I thought was fucked.

also check your battery termamals and earthing and start positivve conection, if only a small amount of current is going to the starter i will engage the pull in gear but wont turn

I second this one. Been there done that. Clean them terminals. Me dad got stung for towing and a new battery off bmw for the same thing. Thieving bastards... mind you he can afford it :D:D

also check your battery termamals and earthing and start positivve conection, if only a small amount of current is going to the starter i will engage the pull in gear but wont turn

I second this one. Been there done that. Clean them terminals.

checked/ cleaned 12v going to the starter motor aswell as the earth strap.
:P

anyway yeah i think ill be doing the brushes tomorrow, i retarded the timing a bit at starting seems better but still gets the click on occasion :evil:

Guest WESTCORT

since you just chucked the dizzy in bro it definatly sounds like timing. ive been messing with my pinto for ages and i know when the timing is too far advance its shite to turn over. you havent set the timing with a light have you? try retarding it more then check it with a light.