carb conversion

mk2 gt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your swapping to twin sidies you shouldn't loose power and should gain a beautiful sound over having a standard intake and plenum. Also, having it carburetted will allow you to make modifications to the head, including more agressive cams, while not needing to buy an expensive after market ECU.

Obviously there are tuning issues with carbs, but if you want a nice sounding NA engine without spending mega dollars on ITB's and an ECU, then I think its worth it, providing you go about it the right way.

mmm mostly concur with that, sort of.

depends on your know how I suppose. For the money that a nice set of sideys and appropriate manifold now you wouldn't be doing too bad to source them for $800 or so? haven't purchased any lately

where as if you spent $1000ish you should be able to get some 20v 4age throttles, a manifold made up to suit and a megasquirt ecu. but thats alot of DYI and shagging about. mind, once done gives you alot more versitilty - providied you can do it all yourself.

carbs ftw though :D

carbs are better if can find somone who knows what they are doing.Unfortunately there aint alot of guys round anymore.

I dont just mean some guy who knows how to fit them and tune them, but somone who REALLY knows what to do, like matching the right side to flow of head, and all that crap.

how much is it for a aftermarket ECU and quad throttles?Would be easy $2000 including the tuning etc, carbs i recon ya could do $1000, and then whatever it costs to get them tuned etc.If you get somone who knows what they are doing you will gt just as much, if not more power and far better throttle responce.

how much is it for a aftermarket ECU and quad throttles?Would be easy $2000 including the tuning etc, carbs i recon ya could do $1000, and then whatever it costs to get them tuned etc.If you get somone who knows what they are doing you will gt just as much, if not more power and far better throttle responce.

...plus the sound and the cool factor of having an old car with a tidy twincam engine thats still breathing on carbs.

Obviously some people prefer injection, some carbs.. so you might aswell make your own mind up because each has its positives and negatives.

did you completely miss my post or what?

depends on your know how I suppose. For the money that a nice set of sideys and appropriate manifold now you wouldn't be doing too bad to source them for $800 or so? haven't purchased any lately

where as if you spent $1000ish you should be able to get some 20v 4age throttles, a manifold made up to suit and a megasquirt ecu. but thats alot of DYI and shagging about. mind, once done gives you alot more versitilty - providied you can do it all yourself.

And i dont know where you get that carbs have better throttle reponse vs. efi, not to mention quad throttles. if anything you have worse throttle response with a carburettored motor, because its so hard to get the fuel curve to suit the motor, with all the different compensating systems in place.

megasquirt: $500

manifold: $400ish (if you cant do it yourself)

20v quads (providing you use a 4cyl): $200ish.

if your a real tight arse and wanted to get boogy i reckon you could do quad throttles and efi for $800 (but thats not counting any fuel system)

but you guys are right. just personal preference. with quads you dont get that cool choking/gargling noise and light throttle.

Carbs ftfw.

i want the sound of some sidy's and i think a set of side drafts with tumpets would look far better than a plenum etc. i also talked to a guy about putting black top quad throttle bodies on my 4age and he said waste of time you wont gain anything

^^^ You wont like the fuel bill of twin sidies and cams in a 4age. Used to put $10 in (when gas was cheap) and get round 25ks or less if fanging hard.

Plus the throtle body thing doesnt sound right to me.