ball end

davidian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you just have to change everything, only things that line up are the holes for the struts and the steering rack mounts, need special brake lines made up too, because mk1 imperial threads and mk2 metric

at what end? its actually got a mk2 van booster so breaks bolt in at the booster end, and ive tried the calliper end, that bolts in too. ive got a mk2 sport booster and a booster kit for it but im still in 2 minds whether to do that or go remote as the sidies are about to go in as well.

lucky i just made peace with the fact that this shit never ends

Use mk2 struts with mk1 top hats.

Use mk2 steering rack and tierod ends.

Easy. Done. Dont have to undo those nuts then :twisted:

The pipe that threads into the caliper may be a differant thread mk1 to mk2 as said before. You can buy a tool tho and change this yourself.

Tierod ends. Collins autos, Ill get ya some for bout $30 each posted. Fuck $100, Palmside can eat a dick.

No, that's not right. The caliper bolt holes are in the same place. I think that the Mk.2 tie rod ends fit mk.1 struts as well... imperial taper with a metric thread??

yeah the holes are in the same place but the mk1 disk is too thin for type 16 callipers and not spaced quite right

thanks dudes

ps. meth yeah i did use mk1 top hats and the holes thing is rough but thats the way we do things 8)

I think the tapper on the mk2 tierod is differant to that of the mk1 struts. Not 100% on that. I cant remember if I ran into trouble with this when doing conversion or if I just had all the mk2 stuff so used it.

If the disk is thinner then it is probably the same as early cortina. Ive never had mk1 disks, drums allround from memory!

The booster bending thing is the best way, why spend upto and over $1000 on remote braking system when you can just use the standard booster. It doesnt even have to move that much.

The mk1 and mk2 calipers were the same as far as I know, unless they are the puny cortina ones which may make sense if they had the thin disks. Pass on this one.

my mk1 disks are from memory 217 or 219 mm and the mk2 ones around 249, about 30mm diff. also different centre hole and the hub studs dont line up. mk1s are thinner as well slightly. mk1 callipers are quite puny, type 16s are way chunkier i think they were about 6cm longer (from end to end)

well all changed now anyways so i gotta change the steering rack. will have a look tonight at how big a job it is. hopefully enough room around the motor to do it

well all changed now anyways so i gotta change the steering rack. will have a look tonight at how big a job it is. hopefully enough room around the motor to do it

Just jack/lift the engine out of the way. Check the length of the spline to attach the steering column to first... you may need the knuckle as well...