Performance parts for a ford Essex V6

J2Racing

bla bla bla bla

Ok so you don't have the brain capacity to understand basic physics I'll dumb it down a bit....

Torque and power are (almost) flip sides of the same coin. Increasing the torque of an engine at a particular RPM is the same as increasing the power output at the same RPM.

Power is just as useful and relevant in determining vehicle performance as is torque. In some situations it's more useful, because you may not have to play with gear ratios and a calculator to understand what's going on.

A car accelerates hardest with gearing selected to stay as close as possible to the engine *power* peak, subject to the traction capability of the tires.

Not all cars should be shifted at the redline for maximum performance. But it's true for many cars. You can determine optimal shift points by graphing horsepower vs. velocity or transmission torque vs. RPM. Engine torque alone will not determine shift points.

FACTS=FAST

The fact is I'm not realy to worried what is more important torque or HP fact is I wouldn't fit a 4cyl to my factory V6 capri because it's not what I want. The whole reason for my project is to build what I want. Not for resale value, not as a race car, and most of all not a show car. It's for FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is I'm not realy to worried what is more important torque or HP fact is I wouldn't fit a 4cyl to my factory V6 capri because it's not what I want.

That's why I didn't rag on the essex from day one. People fit engines for all sorts of different reasons. If I had a $ for everyone who said "Don't put a japper in a ford...."

The whole reason for my project is to build what I want. Not for resale value, not as a race car, and most of all not a show car. It's for FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't go nuts with the engine if I was you. If you are rebuilding the engine I'd go +.60's a GT style grind on the cam and use the 38 Webber.

[

did anyone mention that a pinto has 5 main caps with an unbreakable crankshaft and the essex has only 3 mains and loves to jump out of bed?

I would also choose the pinto if I wanted to keep it period..

but here is a good read on the essex i found:

http://www.geocities.com/zephyr_mark4/essex.html

Yes your right the essex is weaker in the bottom end . Which means the pinto would make a far better engine for a race car. Luckly this is not.

I don't realy understand how the pinto is more period as both motors where produced during the 70's. and to get realy anal I think the essex came first. Plus it is factory for this car.

I don't realy understand how the pinto is more period as both motors where produced during the 70's. and to get realy anal I think the essex came first. Plus it is factory for this car.

Yeah RT, you been on the piss at lunch time you holiday bum? :wink:

The essex came out in the capri before the pinto too IIRC

Maybe he has had one to many tui or maybe he has an interesting idea.

For me I like the history behind the Essex. The fact that it was the first production V6 in the world , and that it was designed to be petrol or diesel. It was pretty high tech for it's time. Now it's just my favourite dinosaur.

For me I like the history behind the Essex. The fact that it was the first production V6 in the world , and that it was designed to be petrol or diesel. It was pretty high tech for it's time. Now it's just my favourite dinosaur.

You are preaching to the converted, I'm running pinto power!

2L and a whole 100hp from the factory :wink:

When you get it going we really should have a drag out at the track. I'd expect you to win becasue of the extra torque and HP but the esky is light which might make up for it

• 3 weeks later...

hey nismo a 390 holley is a 4barrel 2 barrels are 320cfm, 350cfm and 500 cfm. the 390s are a really good carb as they have mechanical secondaries but are not double pumpers so good economy and quick throttle responce with foot down. they were orginally designed for small displacment tunnel rammed and multi carbed engines such as 302s and such like. where 2 600s would be way over kill

hey nismo a 390 holley is a 4barrel 2 barrels are 320cfm, 350cfm and 500 cfm.

Sorry my bad :oops: ...I've only ever run a 600 vac sec. It would have been the 350 I was thinking of :wink:

the 390s are a really good carb as they have mechanical secondaries but are not double pumpers so good economy and quick throttle responce with foot down. they were orginally designed for small displacment tunnel rammed and multi carbed engines such as 302s and such like. where 2 600s would be way over kill

Sounds like just what the 3l essex could do with ...or do you think it would be too big?

I should of posted this a while ago.

I've spoken to a guy who used to be head of the design department , at hamilton jet working on the inlet manifolds for the v6. In his opion the factory manifolds are not good. he suggested rasing the carb. With regard to which carb he thinks the 38 weber is good for about 180bhp. As he said to me all his work was for boats so the desired torque curve was different. But the overal out come is about the same. He suggested port polish and a tickle of the cam.

I guess as with all old manifolds the casting is super tidy so port and polish should open up plenty of power. Apparently Hamiltions did it to all thier motors.

I should of posted this a while ago.

I've spoken to a guy who used to be head of the design department , at hamilton jet working on the inlet manifolds for the v6. In his opion the factory manifolds are not good. he suggested rasing the carb.

So are you going custom or not? ...sounds like it would be worth the effort.

With regard to which carb he thinks the 38 weber is good for about 180bhp. As he said to me all his work was for boats so the desired torque curve was different. But the overal out come is about the same. He suggested port polish and a tickle of the cam.

I guess as with all old manifolds the casting is super tidy so port and polish should open up plenty of power. Apparently Hamiltions did it to all thier motors.

All depends... the kent head needs a lot of opening up because the ports are too small, the 2L needs shaping not opening up as it's too big to start with, mainly the short side radius. You neeed to find out what they respond to bigger don't always= better with porting.

would be interesting to know the specs of the boat engines. i have a couple of mates with jet boats 1 has a nissan v8 and the other a chev v6 . they both told me that a jet boat motor needs to have a long flat torque curve and they only want to rev them to 75-80% of red line to keep them reliable so the cam them for torque down low like a towing cam which makes them feel flat as in a car they run out of legs real qik. it wouldnt be too hard to make a sheet metal manifold for the essex. take a look at the pics of my chev that has a high rise single plane manifold with range from 3000 to 8000rpm a slightly lower one wold bring the torque curve down the rev range a bit. youd really need quite alot of head work for a manifold like that to work properly tho. if u just want a spirited cruiser then go for the stocker and open it up for a bit more flow and mod it for 2 webbers

Most likely will just port match and rejet the carb up a bit. I can't afford/justify upgrading the drive line to coup. I'm running a heavy duty gear box but can't find a cheap option on the diff. So rather than over stress stuff that will be expensive to replace . I'll just turn down the dreams.

Most likely will just port match and rejet the carb up a bit. I can't afford/justify upgrading the drive line to coup. I'm running a heavy duty gear box but can't find a cheap option on the diff. So rather than over stress stuff that will be expensive to replace . I'll just turn down the dreams.

Yeah right :lol: I've heard that before. As soon as its on the road the power isn't enough and outcomes the wallet again :twisted: For the better...