mk5 cortina rear noises.

mk5corty

Just wondering if anyone had encountred this i cant find whats wrong, when i go over a relatively steep bump like a kerb, the back

*paddoings* (<-- sweet noise description). It sounds like springs seating themselves or something but from what i can tell my standard height kings look like their in properly. Sometimes when chronic jumping on the car etc i can make it replicate the noise but im unsure what it is, plus i still havent found out why my cars leans 2 inches down on the left, and some of you reckon its happens to them all but i ahve seen several with no lean at all.

I'd say somethings fucked mate, jack the back end right up and have a decent look around, poke n prod etc, your bound to notice something on one side thats different to the other, broken spring mount or something. has the car been in any wicked rear end realigning crashes in the past?

As far as i know no major crashes, maybe my driveway exaggerates it but it is definately noticeable from even 10 metres away. Will have to cheack tommorrow in the light, getting a bit dull here now. Took it for a run and its making whirring ticking engine noises aswell when i floor it : ) over and above the tappet noise. I reckon the front springs are the original ones as i havent replaced them with kings yet, maybe they are causing it? shockers are new kyb's all round.

Plus i changed the cd at an stop sign intersection and forgot i was in third gear with 4 cars behind me, ultimate shame stall.

Anyways i have a reasonable list of things to fix in this car

oil and coolant leak

no rocker gasket

whirring ticking engine noise when floored

left hand lean

rusted hole approx 30x15 at rear guard due to having no rubber grommets at cars back end.

timing mark broken off

a drivers side leak but i think its caused by, surprise having no grommet.

rear passenger windscreen rust

boot water channel holes

etc etc lucky i have plenty of time and patience.

your lean is natural man, every mk5 ive ever known has it. could be something ford done on purpose, so when a fat ass drives they weigh down the rhs so it evens out haha? king springs have a rhs and lhs side springs, ones longer than the other aswell, doesnt change the lean but. have you got the top rubber bushes for the rear springs in? and the bottom plastic circles?

As far as i know i have all the parts in, lean happens over time in cortina's but werent like that when they were produced, my brothers ghia had no lean whatsoever and the ones i have seen have certainly not had this amount. Also it concerned the wof guys and they had a look but didint know, bah.

As a side note anyone know if i can get a bigger anti roll bar from another car or something, just looking to improve handling, want it to be better than a 2006 crummydore wagon v6 is this gonna happen?

i just did the steering rack in my mk5 cortina, big improvement, one of my padock basher mk5 cortina's (dont worry its beyond repair) has that same problem (noisy back end). the fix is to replace all the bushes on the top and bottom arms, and just make sure everything is nice and tight. out of the few mk5 cortina i have none of them lean to one side... must be a north island thing :lol: , or just worn out shokies and/or springs.

When i got it the rear was 4 inches off the ground, the springs and shockers had been severely squashed, it was a wood and coal trailer pretty much and the boot reflects this, maybe on a angled driveway and left wood in it for ages or something, meh.

ps. could compress the old rear springs about 2-3 inches with my hands that how bad they were.

they all have about a 1cm lean to the left dude, every cortina ive ever dealt with does, even when chucking in brand new lowering springs, ive done about 5 mk5s and 1 mk3 and they all have the same lean. i5oogt, i bet yours do lean, just measure from the guard to the top of the tyre, should be 1cm lower on the left.