How much rust is TOO much rust?

fuel

As it was such a nice day today I did some more panel work on my TE71 Corolla. It has a few rust spots but I uncovered a few more while sanding away.

There's three major areas of rust (possibly structural) and many small patches here and there. Anyway here are some pics:

Rust on right front guard and door..

rust1.jpg

Rust on right door and sill..

rust2.jpg

Rust on base of B pillar..

rust7.jpg

Rust around the left rear window - note the previous weld job on the top..

rust5.jpg

And the worst of the lot, rust at the bottom of the rear left 3/4 panel..

rust8.jpg

rust9.jpg

I know the small amounts of rust can be fixed up easily, but I'm worried about the big patches shown in the last few pics.

The doors guards and sills I am just going to use newtech then smooth over it with filler.

Does anyone know a good panel beater/welder in Hamilton that can do a cash/beer job? I'm not really liking the idea of spending lots of $$ on it.

looks pretty major... but its all fixable. most of the affectd areas seem to be flat panels, (good ol 80's designs) so id say a weekend with a mig and some panel steel will see it right. is it possible to buy replacement sills for that car? oh, and id steer clear of nu tech for use as a rust repair. It'll be back in 3 months, thats if the twisting of the body doesnt crack it and spit it out of the sills (bog in sills = no no, highly structural.) best of luck to ya mate :wink:

Oh ok.. yeah most of that rust had been bogged up by one of the previous owners. In one place there was newspaper stuffed in behind the bog :evil::rolleyes: The big hole in the rear was just a few flakes of rust on the surface, but when I poked around with the screwdriver it turned into that big gaping hole you see now :P

Yeah I know it's a bit of a mission eh :(

I'm still wondering if I should just go ahead and get all the rust fixed, or ditch it and find another shell or something. The rest of the panels are reasonably straight and everything else seems good.

It would be pretty hard to find another rust free TE71, especially for the price I got mine for :twisted: I've already done countless hours of work on it already so it would be hard to just get rid of it now. Plus I wouldn't be able to get anything for it really. It had a WOF and rego earlier this year too.

theres a good place in cbridge by the gym in leamington, go see that guy. probably pretty easy for a panel beater to fix that shit just cut it out and weld new bits in, grind it up and a coat of filler primer and youre away. he welded up all the locks in my van, shaved the rear wiper and squirter and the front aerial hole for 60 bucks. seems to do alot of restoration work there, ie making panels from scratch and making them the right shape ect.

Yeah it all looks pretty fixable as mentioned above. The only part I'd be concerned about it that stuff on the B pillar. It gets abit tricky when you have so many panels meeting, but I'm sure there will be ways around it.

If your going to be hanging onto the car deffinately cut it out, don't dodgy it up. Nothing worse than seeing bubbles coming through your new paint.

You have some pretty good pics tho, try printing them out and going around to afew of the panel places. Hamilton Panel works were alright, they did a little bit of work for me and it only cost $60.

Guest sexychevette

Now thats what i call rust 8) I had an ae85 which had more :lol: fucking toyotas :evil: was in all the same places as yours + heaps more. Fully worth fixing tho cos i think you will struggle to find another shell which is less rusty. However i did see one about a month ago out in takanini. It was at a toyota wreckers siting on top of a hiace :lol: was probably just as bad/worse tho.

Sweet thanks heaps for your suggestions guys... that's just the reassurance I wanted to keep the thing :D

Yeap. But at the same time have a good think about what you are spending money on and how much. Are you going to keep it or flick it, because these 71's don't go for much these days unfortunately.

I haven't spent too much on it so far, but I do have a few plans for the drivetrain and suspension.

2T-GEU conversion will be done after the panel work, then upgrade the brakes/suspension to TA61/63 Celica struts with 10" vented rotors and hopefully disc brake T series rear end.

It's just an ongoing project car really.. I know they aren't worth that much (considering I got it for free), but I will probably sell it after I've had my fun with it. KE70s seem to be going for quite a bit, so surely a TE71 would be able to get a little more than a dirty old DX :P