Fuel rails and plenums

Josh

Well im new to efi etc and have a couple of questions someone might be able to answer.

Fuel rails - usually one rail holding the injectors, my new motor has split fuel rails, 2 injectors on each one, what does this mean, why is it like this, benefits or downsides, any info at all on that appreciated.

Plenum - What difference does size etc make blah blah, bit of info on these if people have any.

Cheers

for turbocharged engines plenum size isn't quite as important and n/a as the entire system is pressurized. Generally, larger the better.. some people try and design formulas for ideal sizes but they are never accurate. Plenum sizes are ususally 100% of the total engine displacement.. or more.

small runners for top end torque /ie racing.. long runners for bottom end torque /ie street.

basically I made mine as big as possible.. I think it's about 3.5L, and tried to angle the runners to aid flow into the pinto port which is unsually flat. the injectors are aimed at the back of the valve which is where you want it.

Copied from another answer I got which kinda contridicts RTs one hmmm. Unsure.

from what ive always heard plenum size does matter for turbocharged vehicle a 2 litre engine should have a 4ltre chamber , diff runners will have diff effects as well as having 1,2 or 4 throttle bodys ( in a 4cyl appl.) otherwise why wuld companies like greddy bother making plenums for imports like gtrs silvias etc ( i kan tell you it aint just for wank factor ) flow is the most important charateristic of any manifold in a performance appl..

also on injection rails its a common perf appl to have the exit of the rail to the reg out the centre of the rail ( or teed in between the two rails ) and run a split feed into each end of the rail or for a twin pump set up so that it lessens the chance of the end injector running outta fuel under high load.

exactly. and he doesn't contridict me, I never said plenum size wasn't important, I said it doesn't matter as much as n/a where you require everything possible % gain you can get, so size and flow etc require more attention to detail. Same with the throttlebods, on a n/a the bigger the better as not to inhibit any flow. On turbo setups it's not so important unless it is restricting the flow of a pressurised air flowing through it.

of course greddy and other performance fabricators like CAPA, Nizpro etc can design better flowing intakes for specific cars.

Why is it not as important in a turbo setup?? look at it this way, say your plenum is average. You could spend $1000 on a beautiful peice of work that would flow better and gain you say 5kws. OR.. you could just crank up your boost for nothing by an extra 5psi and get an extra 10kws. see what i'm saying?

Yea I see what your saying. Think il stick with the one I have now then, has short runners though. All good.

RT do you have entry at each end and return/reg out the centre? or none out of the centre

What are the benefits of running a twin pump setup and just split feeding?

I have a single peice rail with the intake on one end and the regulator on the other. like this:

dscn0876ta9.jpg

I can't think of any significant pros or cons of runnning a split rail.

the short runners will mean your engine will have more torque at top end rather than at the bottom.