Removing Balance shafts

Ogre

I removed the balance shafts on my 63, its pretty simple. It pulls hard all the way to redline, but you can feel a slight vibration at about 3500 rpm when the engine isn't under load..only really noticeable from the drivers seat though.

Dont know what its like compared to an engine with the shafts still in it, but cant hurt to remove them I spose.

I've done it to 2 dohc 63's, used the 2nd link on the first page as directions, used a 22mm (i think) brass frost plug that i lathed about .4mm off to get a proper fit (was slightly too tight in the aluminium cover. Critical that you rotate the bearings on this shaft as you will have no oil pressure if you do not block the oil galleries in the block. Also critical you seal the hole where the puley bolts to with an 8mm bolt.

As for the inlet side shaft, i was going to lathe the lobes off of the shaft cause i was worried about the lack of support through the pump housing, and specifically the shaft migrating backwards and forwards through the bearing, but if you look at it there is a lot of end float even with the full length shaft, as for radial run out on the shaft, the bearings are spaced so far apart that i don't beleive cutting the shaft off short presents any more load than the factory setup. Remember the bearings are designed to cope with the centrifugal force of aroun 2kg of balance weight spinning at twice engine speed, so are bound to be designed pretty tough.

how did you rotate the bearings inside the block?Can you reach them from underneith or what?

Ive never delt with the balance shafts or anything before and im sure it will be obviose once i get into it, just a heads up before i do it eh

Rotating the bearings is tricky, easiest to do on an engine stand with the engine upside down, front one is easy(ish) just tap it out and then back in with the oil gallery covered.

The back one is trickier, the ID of the front bearing is the same as the OD of the back bearing, so by turning the balance shaft around and inserting it backwards into the block you can use it to knock the back bearing out, then rotate and knock it back in. The shaft on the oil pump (inlet) side is a little different as it has an oil gallery running up the length of it, you need to tap the oil pump drive gear bolt deeper and put a longer bolt in with some rtv around the threads to seal the gallery.

HAH, i decided to go and actually have a look at the 63 2day, took off the front cover and BAM!!!!!!!

no fucken balance shafts!!!...thats the end of that then lol.

if anyone wants a cover bung thing then i will sell mine for whatever it costs me

meh

• 4 weeks later...

if its the same as the 63 take out the balance shaft on the left of the crank put a frost plug over the hole, as for the one on the back of the oil pump if you cant get a kit for a good price just cut it and put a bolt up it ,it does work good have done it to a 63 my self