Polishing wheels

cute wee gem

Here is the first part.

Will do the rest in a sec.

Here is an example of what you can achieve, on the left is how they were and on the right is how they are now plus tires and bolts

before6gx.jpg

after1wa.jpg

Overview

This ‘how to’ will be broken up into the following categories so if you wanted to just paint or polish then you can go straight to that section.

1. Materials & Tools

2. Preparation

3. Polishing

4. Painting

5. Notes, Cautions & Extra Pictures

1. Materials & Tools

Polishing Materials and Tools

High speed drill or air (pneumatic) die grinder

Polishing Compounds (as follows)

Black Emery

Brown Tripoli

White Diamond (or equivalent fine polish)

Meguiar’s All Metal Polish

3-5 4â€

well i coldnt find the one i was refering to on toyspeed so maybe it was on another site.

What do you guys think i should use to get rid of the clearcoat on my wheels? cause its starting to peel in some places

will wet and dry be sweet?

pic10xj.jpg

Now we apply the clear coat for protection of the paint, apply in the same matter as above. I would still clear even if I was using spray bombs as it is just another layer of protection which will prevent metallic from becoming dull.

Oooooo Nice

pic23yw.jpg

Then wait until the paint is almost dry (a little bit beyond the tacky stage) and then start unmasking. It is best to unmask when the paint isn’t totally dry as it is easier to get a defined edge. When unmasking make sure pull the tape back on itself and on the edges as it prevents the paint from lifting. Also if you have some bleed through you can remove it easier.

Before and after unmasking

pic39xu.jpg

Then you just have to wait for the paint to cure and you have a nice set of wheels!

Before & After

pic45jw.jpg

5. Notes, Cautions & Extra Pictures

Polishing notes

Don’t cross contaminate between compounds.

I would suggest polishing outside unless you want a whole bunch of little cotton strings all over the place(should of saw the mess i made).

Wear safety glasses.

If you wear long sleeves shirts they could get caught in the die grinder just to warn you.

Painting

Always wear a mask when painting.

If you need to remove a bug, just use tweezers.

If you need to fix a mistake let it dry first (except if it’s a bug then you should pluck it right out).

When painting with a paint gun, always clean it right after using it and after each color as you wouldn’t want primer in the basecoat.

Extra Pictures

ooooooo

pic52ps.jpg

67ld.jpg

Now that you have this nice set of wheels you might want to mount the tires yourself because you might not trust your tire shop.

Just copy and paste the document into word or wherever. Everytime there is a pic type PIC1, PIC2, PIC3 etc etc. Then as you save the pic save it as pic1, pic2, pic3 etc so nothing gets mixed up.

Use http://www.imageshack.us o photobucket or somewhere to host the photos. Then paste whole lot into here with pics in order as you ordered them..

Done.