Diff Noises

HUNTD

Ok so how long is it going to last?

It makes one hell of a clunk when turning sharp corners. Probably should check my driveshaft bolts again but yea. is it going to just stop soon or will it go for a wee while yet if i take it easy? Living in the country i sorta wana know so i dont break down half way home stz.

RWD n00b

that 'hell of a clunk' might or probably will be from the bushes around the diff being worn out. The stabiliser bars make that sorta noise when their bushes are shot. Must admit i dont know what the rear end on a hillman looks like but yea, id check those bushes

Hmm thanks, various bushes round the front end have been replaced with nolethyne (sp.) but yea havnt look at the rear. Also one of my shocks is fucked

actually the side that is fucked is more the side that the noise is coming from

at first i thought i had run over something on that side so maybe thats my answer

ideas welcome :)

fully

call me if it fucks out otherwise. i wont care etc :P

but yuh, cant be final drive/diff as it's doing one bang when you start cornering. not that much 'differential action' at moderate speeds.

do a skid

could even be something gay like exhaust mounting rooted and t banging on the floorpan or something

Signs that diff is on its way out: large vibration at speed, making wirring noises and shuddering when turning sharp coners. A sudden clunk doesnt really sound like a diff problem, unless you had just dump the clutch or similar.

Matt

Vibrations - tick, got excessivly worse bout 2 days ago

ah crap

i er slighty dumped the clutch on some gravel about 15min before hand...

have i been a bad girl?? :(

haha serves the fucker that was tail gating me right...stones on them haha

this happened to a mates open diff. popped a skid, then driving along it started to vibrate and then it conked out. havnt pulled it apart yet but seemed like the spider gears locked together. deforemed from the heat and forces perhaps.

we get highrail trucks with blown diffs in from that all the time

yah, know this cunt who used to drive them round the workshop with the train wheels down etc got yelled at and shit "cam you cunt stop being n00b".

classic.

yea last time my diff was clunking it was a few teeth missing from one spider gears..

it would clunk more when reserving around a courner and evry now and then in a straight line it would cluck and make the car skip a little..

easy fix. out come the old arc welder :lol:

i drove mine for a day or two then it got worse and more dodgy (more skipping in a straight line) so then i drove my ute till the weekend and changed it.

but once i took it apart and inspected it i recon it would have been sweet to drive untill it picks up the missing teeth and feeds them throw the main gears and it will just lock you rear wheels and break something.

so yea drive the lancer till you can change it 8)