n00b yo, Fuel Pump question

lowlancer

I am not gonna bother having a surge tank, it looks real tricky to install, I'll see how I go without it, I'll just cut or modify the lines and use a cordia fuel pump.

Just remember to keep your tank really full if you don't have a surge set up. We just got back from a tarmac rally where we run a vr4 rally car, and we were having fuel surge issues with over half a tank, and thats with a baffled tank designed for a fuel injected modern turbo car. The ex tanks are especially susceptible to surge because of their wide, flat shape, and there are virtually no baffles in there to stop fuel sloshing around. Its pretty easy to set up a surge tank on an ex, all i needed was the tank, fuel pumps, about 2.5 metres of 8.5mm fuel injection hose, .5 metres of fuel safe 1/2" hose (dopesn't even need to be fuel inj hose) a 1/2" brass hose T, .5 metres of 7.5mm fuel injection hose, three small wiring grommets for the hose to go through the boot floor, and a dozen hose clips.

cheers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very expensive! Wouldn't you get petrol fumes sifting into the car all the time if it was mounted in the boot?
sounds expensive to me too, i paid aroun 90 for the tank and about another 200 for my pump and other various bits and peices, as for fumes, you are right, it is a consideration, however not for me as it is a dedicated race car with a firewall seperating the boot from the passenger compartment. You could possible mount it under the car, that way there wouldn't be any fumes.

I have to get to my work comuter to upload some piccys, will do that tommorow.

What if alot of the cornering involves looking out the side window? ;).

Anyone know the legalities of a surge tank setup in the boot? Last i heard it was fine aslong as it was sealed from the main cabin, i.e: not in a hatchback.

I dont think fumes would be a problem, as its a sealed system?

just an aluminium skin in the boot area, even though it is a sealed system you still get fumes, and even under mild cornering (before i put a surge tank in) i had surge problems, due to the nature of the lancers tank.

I'll have some photo's up tonight.

Yes, but obviously you arn't going to have back seats or a parcel tray in your lancer to save weight, and yes I am planning on doing a lot of hard cornering, this is what these cars are all about!

I do plan on using mine every day, and i do like carting mates around, for some weird reason, heh. I'll be keeping the back seats, and having a mild sound system aswell. I hope to make it a super nice daily driver :).

just an aluminium skin in the boot area, even though it is a sealed system you still get fumes, and even under mild cornering (before i put a surge tank in) i had surge problems, due to the nature of the lancers tank.

I'll have some photo's up tonight.

Excellent, aluminium sheet i can get pretty easily, just pop-rivet something into place.

pics of my setup:

tank and pumps, low carter pump on top, bosch underneath.

surgetank1fb.th.jpg

prefilter and surge tank return, the filter is on the intake sadie of the carter pump, i tapped into the overflow hose from the filler neck for the overflow from the surge tank.

return5xb.th.jpg

lines through the boot wall, i used 1/2" wiring grommets around the hoses. overflow at the top, inlet in the middle (to carter pump), high pressure out at the bottom (from bosch)

lines5fd.th.jpg

high pressure filter on firewall

fuelfilter9pc.th.jpg

fuel pressure regulator in engine bay

fpr9vb.th.jpg

engine bay in case any one wants to see what i've put in.

engine22ms.th.jpg

Apologies for the atrocious pictures, all i could find was my PDA to take photos with..

Cheers Dan

Are you still using the factory fuel lines in the lancer?

I was planning on doing this to save money, I just brought a surge tank on trademe for $90 it's polished stainless, so it will be sweet as, I'll use a low pressure fuel pump off a carby cordia turbo, and a high pressure fuel pump off a EFI cordia turbo.

Yeh still using factory lines, they are keeping up thus far, the supply line is 5/16" (around 8mm) which is plenty for most applications, the return is only 1/4" (6.3mm)

I'm geussing i'll have to run new lines when i finish buiding the big motor (vr4 spec)

cheeers dan