n00b yo, Fuel Pump question

lowlancer

Obviously need to get a decent external fuel pump for the new conversion, that is, 4G63 Sirius Dash turbo motor.

What fuel pump can I use? I know a VL or VL turbs is all good, but if I can't get hold of one, can I use anything as long as it's an external type?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a place in morrinsville, K&H Auto spares I think its called. The dude is a f**kn good c*nt and gives you anything he has for cheap as.

Last year I was sussing out others parts through him and asked if he had vl pumps just in case I needed one. He had quite afew and would part with them for $40!

Dunno if he's still got any but give it a go.

I use a 13b turbo Mazda Luce pump they are rated quite high also. I also have a VL commy pump as well that I will be useing later when I finish my injection setup.

I've been told that camira pumps are the same as VL ones and a few Fords had them as well they are a Bosch pump that may make it a bit easier to find one.

generic low pressure lift pump to surge tank, then bosch "vl turbs" stz

you'll want a surge tank, seen a high powered car die due to that, sideways, fuel surge, tree......

heh, then again, keep the tank above 1/4 when caning and it'll be tops

Will I need an in tank pump modded in? Or is that generic shit out of tank too?

Like, Tank, generic pump, surge tank, VL pump, in line?

Dunno how much if any you plan to mod engine or how much money you wanna spend. But $150 will get you a 350hp brand new external bosh pump. That way you wouldnt have to replace again for a while. Add another 50 and you get a little bling as mounting bracket.

You will be well advised to go for a surge tank setup, as your std fuel tank will not have sufficient baffling to prevent fuel surge, VL and VL turbo pumps are the same. You willl also find some larger BMW's have bosch pumps that can be used,

I have a carter lift pump lifting from the factory outlet into a 2 litre surge tank feeding a bosch pump from a 525i bmw, that supplies fuel to the factory line, the ex has a factory return which i use , it is a smaller diameter than the supply but seems to be doing alright thus far, with high pressure efi the fuel line size is not as critical as with a high perf carby motor.

If you want any more info on my setup i can take some photos for ya..

Good luck with it..

fuck

solex for $150 or some shit, and the huge prices on radar detectors

guess who's rockin huge margins :P

Yeah its a newish buisness and most of the coin is made through work on cars. But yeah some shit is cheap some is rip off.

If you want any more info on my setup i can take some photos for ya..

Holy crap yes, photos would be very much appreciated. I was thinking very very similarly for my setup, just a small carby electric pump for a lift pump, I have a starion pump for the main feed.

How would i connect the starion pump to the feed line? Arent they solid all the way into the gas-tank? Gah, i wish the car was here so i could go take a quick squiz....

was thinking very very similarly for my setup, just a small carby electric pump for a lift pump

I originally had a carby legacy (a solid state like a facet pump) fuel pump feeding the surge, but it couldn't keep up with the flow of the bosch pump, i bought the carter (which is a rotary vane and is quite happy sucking up) off trademe for around $180.

The pick up comes out the top of the tank and down behind the rear axle, there is a section of rubber fuel hose about 200mm long ( IIRC) that connects the tank to the chassis fuel line.

Its a little dark out now, but i'll get some piccys for you tommorrow and post em up.

cheers