1980 GSL Lancer gearbox.. supprise supprise!

ProZac

A friend of mine and i are transplanting a g63b from a 1985 Turbo Eterna into a 1980 GSL 5sp Lancer. I was expecting to have to dickey around with starion blocks or gearbox adaptor plates to get a RWD setup with the narrowblock g63b from the eterna...

Imagine my surprise when the 5sp from the Lancer matched up directly to the g63b from the eterna... Means (for now) we can keep the existing cable clutch setup and whatnot, made things a whole lot easier to see it running! I've read of a few other people doing this swap, as these cars seem to be gaining populatity, thought this info might help someone else out :)

Unless we have some freak Eterna with a random wideblock engine... Can anyone supply the measurments from right to left, top and bottom bolt holes for a narrow and wide block g63b?

Theoretically, the engine out of a VR4 should have the same gearbox bolt spacing shouldn't it? Hmmmmmm, wonder how long this gearbox would last then.... heh.

caboon rekons the MMC sigma N/A 5speeds will handle in excess of 400hp, of course, burnouts and otherwise rough treatment will take it's toll.

FWD g63 turbo engines are all narrow block aren't they? so vr4 engine will bolt to that gearbox, would just have to sort the water pipe issues.

tuf, get some piccys up mang

lol, didnt take ya long to start messing round with cars dude, hows chch going?

and a 4g63 would be killa in an ex, will be interesting to see progress.

Chch is all good, Nelson was nice, loved the weather, but its good to be home :). The EX is coming together awesomely so far, sorted sump and motor mounts this evening... clutch, ecu, exhaust manifold and turbo to go, heh! Sorted a disc brake rear end, and vented fronts for it also, so certification shouldnt be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

What on earth can you get a wideblock fucking gearbox from!!!!!!!

I built up my engine using a station dash block with an 8 valve sigma head so I can have the multipoint injection off a FWD galant with a modified manifold using a TC06 manifold and turbo off a cordia, but now the bloody sigma carby 8 valve 5 speed gearbox doesn't fit! Shit! my engine is wideblock, but the sigma is narrowblock!

Where do I get a wideblock gearbox?! Is a 4G52 wideblock! This gives me the shits, I need a wideblock gearbox! Anyone know where to get one in christchurch cheap?

What on earth can you get a wideblock fucking gearbox from!!!!!!!

I built up my engine using a station dash block with an 8 valve sigma head so I can have the multipoint injection off a FWD galant with a modified manifold using a TC06 manifold and turbo off a cordia, but now the bloody sigma carby 8 valve 5 speed gearbox doesn't fit! Shit! my engine is wideblock, but the sigma is narrowblock!

Where do I get a wideblock gearbox?! Is a 4G52 wideblock! This gives me the shits, I need a wideblock gearbox! Anyone know where to get one in christchurch cheap?

4G52s aren't wideblock yo

And all the wideblock boxes be hydraulic clutch too

The GSL is a 1600cc 4G32, which has the same bellhousing pattern as the G6x series. The only one it wont fit is the RWD SOHC Turbo block, out of Starions etc.

Most people with EX Lancers have the 1200cc version, which is the 4G11 I think from memory. The gearbox in that does not match up to any other engine series.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Celeste_racer

Has anyone had any trouble with these gearboxes. We have an 8v 4G63B with an evo 3 turbo in a celeste and we have been through 3 gearboxes. They all give trouble in 3rd Gear, that is they get noisey. I was wondering does anyone have a solution. We are only running standard boost...

I was also wondering if anyone has played with a fuel regulator, we are about to start.

Thanks for your help

Has anyone had any trouble with these gearboxes. We have an 8v 4G63B with an evo 3 turbo in a celeste and we have been through 3 gearboxes. They all give trouble in 3rd Gear, that is they get noisey. I was wondering does anyone have a solution. We are only running standard boost...

I was also wondering if anyone has played with a fuel regulator, we are about to start.

Thanks for your help

Ha, 8V with evo turbo, so close to mine, except mines a 12 valve. Same turbo though.

I wouln't bother with a shit little box like that, just get a 4G63 box.

• 2 weeks later...