diy car painting

Guest Scheme

Yeah wet the floor to stop dust.

I have read somewhere that it should be dry cos vaporising water from the floor causes the paint to dry up mid air before hitting the car. Something to do with latent heat of vapor - bla - bla but I think the dude was full of it! The risk of dust is a whole lot worse that what he was sayin.

Wet the floor :)

What type of compressor etc did yas all use. For me a 2.5Hp 50 tank. Cheap as at $190. Only just enough guts to do the mini. I'd connect another tank inline if i was doing a bigger car.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/

^^^a link with hints. Haven't read it but it may have something^^

yes that is true.. but yes the dust factor is worse if it's a home job. If you have a very very clean painted floor etc and extraction and a booth then dry is the way to go.

I used an old 3hp 90psi compressor. Wasn't really enough as I had to wait for it to catchup.

Meth - those where the original 14" superlights. I wrote them off in an accident about 4 years ago. :(

got a big 3 phase at work powering the workshop lol, that could do it but I dont want to do it there. descent 2 phases can do a paintjob fine I heard. mate did a pro looking metallic job with a 2.5hp 50 litre compressor.

i've painted a car with two little compressors, they were 1.5hp 10L and i had smeone else rotating between them.. made it a mission to paint, if i were to do it again i would hook up a massive 100L or so tank, set the compressor to about 90psi and regulat the air out of the tank to about 50psi

i have a pretty big old lpg tank at my house i plan to use for this in the future

Found this pic. Didn't know where to put it so here yas go

DSCF2214.jpg

Bunnings and Repco usually about $195 for 2.5hp50l during sales. Yeah use the moisture filter too. Also heard that you should use a different airline for air tools than you use for your spray gun. Cos oil can go back into the hose when your using air tools.

Also cover everything in your garage. I was lazy - now everything is dusty blue. I used Acrylic Laquer. dunno if there's anything else to add.