Diff Wirring

zep

Ok, I have figured that it is my diff that is the problem. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

It's making a horrible wirring sound on gas, no idea why. Does anyone have any clues before I go and take the car to somewhere horrendously expenaive?

Leon

are you sure its the diff.

I think i had the same thing i replaced the dif and found it wasnt that.

when you apply the gas it makes the noise and then when you take your foot off it seems to make less noise.

is that correct?

i found that it was the universal joint on the drive shaft.

half the bearing was missing.

Deaf Rattle: I topped up the oil, should I try and replace it all? I would be quite keen for you to listen, are you in Auckland? I can replace it myself, its just that this is a rare as fuck diff and I will never find a direct replacement in NZ.

mkcortina: That's right. When I jack up the rear and go to listen to it, its soo loud that it sounds like it's comming from everywhere, but I'm pretty sure it was the diff housing.

Is it possible to do some kind of hilux conversion in which you only swap the head and maybe the torque tube?

haha maybeyou need deaf rattle to come sort out your deaf rattle!!!!! haha no

anywyas if it is your universal it could sound like it is your diff because it is connected and the vibrations would travel through everything therefore making it sound like its coming from everywhere.... i might come around tonight remind me...

hey leon does ya diff have a cover on the back like a hat? if it does take it off and have a look inside see if theres metal in the oil if its the side bearings ya may b able to change em ya self im sure a few of u guys could get together an nut it out its not that hard put on some beers and a bit of smoke and ya could have it done in a morning