Diff Wirring

zep

My gemini was noisey had a shit load of pinion play banged real bad on take off and heavy gear changes so I replaced the pinion and crown wheel. That stoped the pinion play still whined I checked the axel bearings when it was apart they were fine so a few months later I pulled the tourqe tube off and there it was poked bearing in the tube the tube is a piece off piss to get off no major unbolting so you should check that first instead of last like me. hope that helps

I went to Manon Butler Motors (for those of you who know it) and talked to Bruce. He said I have what is known as 'diff whine' and it only gets worse. Caused by the crown and pinion not meshing properly.

He said I either have to replace the crown and pinion and get an alignment or replace the diff. I have no idea where in the hell I would source these bits, so I'm not sure what to do. Don't really wanna go back to the regular diff.

Is it possible to just do a Hilux LSD diff head conversion? As the axels and the disc brakes (which have just been reconned: $700) are sweet. Or is it a better idea to use an entire diff?

Thanks for all your help

Leon

The crown wheel unbolts you may be able to get a standard diff(pinion as well) thats in good nick and swap the pinion and crown wheel over on to your LSD case if its got the same bolt centers ect. If that works would be a lot eaiser than a hilux Id say. I've also heard that torana LSD centers fit

straight in but I dont think there to common either.

get hold of diffs r us or steelie gears they might be able to set up your diff properly if your crown wheel and pinion are not damaged. they are adjusted by shims that preload the pinion by moving it backwards or forwards to get the gear mesh exactly right. theyll be in the phone book