Tech crap for carbs and shit

lowlancer

Guest LukeNukem

Oh, and I wasnt saying, dont do the exhaust, just that it should come after the engine work is done. Wider pipes and headers always make a nice differance, make the engine a bit more responsive.

I was just complaining about the way it was done, "tuned extractors" is just a label, aslong as they give a good path, they will be good, if they have any major kinks or bends, dont bother.

And a milo can on the back is just pointless unless you like the lawnmower sound.

Lowlancer, where are you at, I can help sort out an engine if you want.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LukeNukem
JUST GET A BIGGER FUCKIN ENGINE....

ah okay then, 511cube V8's for everyone!!!! :oops::oops:

unforunatly mate, it doesnt always work this way, he may want to stay 1600 for a reason, maybe to preserve the the car in its 'factory' state, maybe he wants to enter in racing classes for <1600 cars, he may infact want to do alot of things hence why he asked about modding his engine not upsizing it...

True, true...

V8's for everyone, even the guy with the mini :twisted:

Will, thats what I was saying, dont know whay I didnt write those words though.

I don't want to change to a 2 litre, seeing as they only make 25 more HP than my 1600, too much hassle for too little gain. If it's going to be quite expensive to do all that I'll just flag it and think about an engine conversion in a couple of years. My exhaust system does have a coby by the way, sounds quite nice as well. 2" from manifold with coby then dumper muffler at the end of it.

Guest 78lancer

lukenukem: i am in palmy 2 n do u no of any 4g32s at any wrckers or any 4 private sale? n what car u drivin n have u seen my 78 lancer, gay orangey colour round town??

If you dont mind me asking. The 2L conversion isnt just a straight swap is it?? Just bolt it in and plug in the plugs and youre away. Do you have to change any of the wiring?? or is the 16oo wiring the same?? are all the plugs for the carby the same or what??what about manifolds?? What exactly do you have to change?? is it just the short engine??if that makes sense?

Guest LukeNukem
lukenukem: i am in palmy 2 n do u no of any 4g32s at any wrckers or any 4 private sale? n what car u drivin n have u seen my 78 lancer, gay orangey colour round town??

Dude, ring the bunnythorpe wreckers, they have a few, yellow pages man...

And, I may have seen your car, orange was a bit dull and was parked on waldergrave st on saturday?

Far as my conversion went, bolted in, turn key!

carby engines should wire up easy as anyway, no matter what sort they are. off the top of my head the only wires should be 3 to the starter motor, an earth from the engine to the chassis, the lead from the coil to the distributor, maybe a couple of wires from the distributor depending on whether its got an internal or external ignitor, and sensor's: water temp, oil pressure (maybe). shouldn't be much more than that, anybody who'd done some basic engine maintenance should be able to hook all that stuff up easy as. all old mitsi's have this shit pretty much the same so yeah, it'll go straight in. computer type shit is where it starts getting hard, believe me.

cheers

Matt

was just complaining about the way it was done, "tuned extractors" is just a label, aslong as they give a good path, they will be good, if they have any major kinks or bends, dont bother.

Not entirely true, depending on the specs of your engine, "tuning" extractors to suit can be a valuable performance aid. OK so admittedly on a relatively unmodified engine such as the subject matter at hand, designing a correct set of extractors is of less benefit.

But factors such as port design, CR, squish, intake velocity, conbustion chamber capacity, etc etc. all influence how you can design a set of extractors.... then you start delving into different lengths of primary pipes, secondary pipes (if you use for example a 4-2-1 layout on a 4cyl engine) and also diameters of these pipes, and then the "tuning" label as you put it comes into play, as varying exhaust design can influence where maximum torque, power etc. comes in, just to generalise a little.

Guest LukeNukem

Yeah , I know alfa, just its never been very noticeable for me, a slight differance in response, but bugger all differance in torque/power/rev...

If the pipes have all had the same width, and bugger all sevre bends.

I've found (in my own experiances with a worked 2.0L pinto in a corty), that the differant extractors available made fuck all differance, if you could even tell at all, I just gave the exhaust gasses the widest, straightest path out into the open, and it run fuckin well.

I ended up with a 4-1 config, since the individual pipes for each combustion chamber, were 1 1/2", and went to a 3" by 2" (width-height) oval pipe, it ran bloody quick, revved high quite fast, had wicked response and torque, the bloody thing used to do half metre high wheelies everywhere if you dropped the clutch, including smoking up nicely.

I got the corty with a so-called "tuned" extractor already in, didnt run too bad, but it did fuck all apart from look pretty, my own setup was still a hellofalot better though.

Just get those wasted gasses out-a-there as fast as...

But of course, everyones experiance is differant, and Im only speaking from my own.