Kwaka Z650

Flauski

Made progress;

seat being upholstered at Marshall Upholstery, new sprockets from Ze Germans, new gold chain from US, new steel brake lines coming from UK,  

I have put zorst back on, calipers fully rebuilt with new seals/pads and put back on (so I could measure up brake lines)

All it will need is some wiring of the new speedo and electrics then test fire-up before strip down for frame to be slightly modded/powdered.

Then I got a new toy, check my BSA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I said "when" Crusty.  :-)

Got my braided brake lines LTA spec from UK fitted up too.

IMG_0061.JPG

Finish list;

Parts:

Front disc brake bolts x 4

New air filters (some of the old ones rubbers have separated from filter)

Rear shocks?

Shorter clutch cable / throttle cables

smaller battery

To get running:

Wiring - new speedo (removal of super huge cluster), moving of ignition, LED indicators/tail light, check suitability of wiring for H4 headlight 

Frame:

Make cut outs for coils (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on rear disc brake bracket  (different for B frame to C frame)

Weld on mounting tags for rear indicators

Weld mount for ignition

Make mount for speedo

Weld up holes in modified triple tree (anyone here weld alloy?)

Blast rear fender and paint

Modify /source alternative front fender

WOF

That is what is left to do, a MUCH smaller list now!

• Like 1

Hey bro, I had a z750 twin back in the 80's which I got rid of after too many close shaves riding far too fast everywhere... shoulda just slowed down I guess. Just after I bought it a nut came outta one of the camshaft sprockets and got stuck in the primary chain so while I was saving up to buy a new primary chain I ripped all the crap off and this is what it was like when I finally got it going.

419987_10151131344804288_1005447935_n.jp

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Bike runs with my own wiring :) Runs and revs mint, sounds great and I forgot how loud it is.

Also got my seat that was recovered by Marshall Upholstery today. Norm has done an AWESOME job.

Preview pic:

20140630_170532.jpg

Getting close to pulling it allllll apart again for final frame welding / powder coating.

Will be good to have a bike going instead of a mini museum of bikes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bout time this saw some action.

Had the front and rear guards stripped of their chrome, rear guard has some hidden nasty rust.

Anyone have a hook up or know a good place to get 4mm brass bullet terminals etc in nz? Vintage Connections in US is good but would rather find local.

sold the beeza so this should see some new rear shocks and the final purchases soon.

Also need new carb joiners as I discovered the old ones leak. Not conducive with fun on a rebuilt bike if it goes up in flames.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I look at this wonderful project and I can only congratulate you for what you've done. Amazing. :) I have for two weeks a motrcycle like yours and I want to bring it in this stage. I want to ask you about handlebars, what diameter have the fork and where did you found clip-on handlebars? (mine have 39mm)

And I have a second question: after you changed air filters, have you syncronized the carbs?

Thanks!

Mihai

Not much has changed since my last post. I have received my new wiring bits and pieces and I was in the process of slowly shortening wires in the loom.

They are Tarozzi clip ons and I bought from Dimecitycycles.com (they do all sizes from 32mm-40+mm)

Its not synchronising that needs to be done when changing to filters, the jetting of the carbs must be changed. Synching the carbs only makes sure all four carbs are working in synch  (ie the 4 slides are all operating at the same time/height when the throttle is opened.)

I checked my jetting when rebuilding my carbs and they have already been upgraded. This bike already had pod filters but they were cheap nasty ones.

I will synch the carbs when its back together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...