Bedfordboihopeful's 1982 Bedford CF, LD28 auto

I bought mine as a 2l petrol converted to a camper. Ripped out the bunks etc but kept the lining and the PC Cresta diff. After one extremely expensive trip to Teretonga where we had a headwind all the way and had blown our fuel budget by Gore it got the LD28 conversion. An outfit in Waterloo Rd ChCh did it. They were doing one LD conversion a week at that time. When I went to pick it up I was met by a mate from speedway who'd already driven it and raved about how quick it was compared to the others they'd done. Told them what the diff was.

It would cruise at 115k with two bikes on board. Never did find out absolute top whack as over 120k it was still accelerating - but very slowly. Went to most NZ race circuits in the following 5 years Puke to Teretonga. Had to keep it on 13in rims as 14's would have geared it too tall. Bit hard on rear tyres - rolled one off the rim running fast and empty once.  Rust killed it ultimately. Far as i know it's now a mobile shed on a farm around Waddington.

The wife loved it. She dragged off a Porsche once. Nail it hard and the left front got very light.

From my experience I'd look hard at a taller diff than standard. But also fit bigger rims. They've got enough torque to pull something taller.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GregT said:

Have you found the compliance plate yet ?  Curious if it's another one of Waterloo Diesels jobs.

Are you meaning the cert for the swap? Vin was last updated in 2004, no mention of who did it though or if that was the swap or something else

10 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Paint "free candy"

Or "Hannah Montana concert shuttle" on the side.

Times have changed oldie  

"free vapes" that'll get em running 

But fr definitely gonna get some kind of joke stuff. Shaggin wagon maybe, unsure at this point lol

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 07:52, GregT said:

I bought mine as a 2l petrol converted to a camper. Ripped out the bunks etc but kept the lining and the PC Cresta diff. After one extremely expensive trip to Teretonga where we had a headwind all the way and had blown our fuel budget by Gore it got the LD28 conversion. An outfit in Waterloo Rd ChCh did it. They were doing one LD conversion a week at that time. When I went to pick it up I was met by a mate from speedway who'd already driven it and raved about how quick it was compared to the others they'd done. Told them what the diff was.

It would cruise at 115k with two bikes on board. Never did find out absolute top whack as over 120k it was still accelerating - but very slowly. Went to most NZ race circuits in the following 5 years Puke to Teretonga. Had to keep it on 13in rims as 14's would have geared it too tall. Bit hard on rear tyres - rolled one off the rim running fast and empty once.  Rust killed it ultimately. Far as i know it's now a mobile shed on a farm around Waddington.

The wife loved it. She dragged off a Porsche once. Nail it hard and the left front got very light.

From my experience I'd look hard at a taller diff than standard. But also fit bigger rims. They've got enough torque to pull something taller.

Crazy as it is while buying parts I met a cool guy who has a PC cresta diff that he wants gone, he wanted $200 for it, any idea if that's good? Such a small world sometimes

Also was yours short or long wheelbase? Pretty sure mine is long

17 minutes ago, BedfordBoiHopeful said:

Crazy as it is while buying parts I met a cool guy who has a PC cresta diff that he wants gone, he wanted $200 for it, any idea if that's good? Such a small world sometimes

Also was yours short or long wheelbase? Pretty sure mine is long

Where would you find another one? PC Cresta's are gone.

Mine was short w/b.  I'm not sure a PC diff is what you'd want now. From memory it was about 3.5:1 which really did limit me to 13in wheels. 14's or 15's are a much better size now - 15's in particular as there are a lot of Jap vans on that size. See what it's got in it now, get it running well and make the decision on diff ratios based on what you've got in front of you.

18 minutes ago, GregT said:

Mine was short w/b.  I'm not sure a PC diff is what you'd want now. From memory it was about 3.5:1 which really did limit me to 13in wheels. 14's or 15's are a much better size now - 15's in particular as there are a lot of Jap vans on that size. See what it's got in it now, get it running well and make the decision on diff ratios based on what you've got in front of you.

The guy said now he knows I might want it, I was happy with the price, he said he's fine to hold onto it and in no rush. So yeah was going to look over it myself and hopefully get it inspected more thoroughly too before I actually start thinking of potential swaps

Remembered a problem which cropped up with mine. Unless yours has been modded or is a CF2, you'll have drum brakes all round.  I found that even well balanced fronts showed signs of being out of balance. Narrowed the problem down to the drums. The worst one had the OD 5mm off center from the drum inner. Very poor castings. Used a mates big lathe to machine the od concentric and never had a problem again.

I was told the accepted fix was to go to a place which could balance wheels in place on the vehicle. in the 80's there was one place in ChCh. No idea if any still do it.