Skidmark’s Bugatti 49

Not-a-number

1 hour ago, igor said:

Will it be possible to register this car for road use given that it may/will not have any real legal identity?

If it has 3 original major components (with serial numbers) it can potentially be regarded as a ‘real’ Bugatti. Ie chassis, crankcase, gearbox. But they don’t even have to be from the same car.

If you’re talking about registering a scratch built car in general then that’s LVV rules. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, igor said:

LVV cert for what is effectively a stock standard but very old car opens another big can of worms as discussed elsewhere.

Yeah it’s probably not plane sailing. But I know of at least 2 Bugatti replicas and 1 Alfa replica in NZ that have been through LVV cert. Things like wheels have to be approved by VAC, drive shaft hoops, seat belts, mud guards, no welded steering components. 

5 hours ago, Not-a-number said:

Yeah it’s probably not plane sailing. But I know of at least 2 Bugatti replicas and 1 Alfa replica in NZ that have been through LVV cert. Things like wheels have to be approved by VAC, drive shaft hoops, seat belts, mud guards, no welded steering components. 

We have just done an amilcar rep at work this way. Had to be registered as a scratch built because new chassis 

We've done 2 alfa 2300 8c replicas this way too that are still local and one used regularly 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In Australia each state has its own regs, and they seem to be under continual evolution. In Victoria, at the moment, built-up "specials" need to conform to numerous new car safety regs i.e. seat belts, collapsible steering column, side-intrusion protection. Provided it is an accurate copy and preferably utilises original components, a built-up "replica" of an existing old car only needs to comply with the regulations that were in force when such cars were originally registered, so my 1930 Bugatti will not need to meet modern requirements when being registered. As 6/7 of its main defined components have original factory stampings from the Molsheim Bugatti Factory, I should be able to obtain a chassis plate from the Bugatti Owners Club (UK) that verifies the authenticity of the finished car, and which gives it a "BOC number" (original Bugatti front axle, diff, gearbox, lower sump, steering box, chassis-frame; new non-Bugatti radiator). In the past, several of the new Argentinian-built Pur Sang Bugatti copies have been imported to Australia and registered as "Bugatti, 1934" or whatever - the authorities seem unable to differentiate between a new build and nicely restored old car... I guess either way they are raking in their horribly exorbitant Luxury Car Tax on top of the cost of the car, so they don't really care about when the vehicle was actually constructed!

• Like 4